Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Have you missed me?

I'd like to start with an apology for the lack on content lately. I've been busy, and something had to give. The blog took the brunt of it again. So, I'm going to play catch-up. Here goes:
I did a little morel hunting on a bike ride last weekend and found these beauties (plus some others):


My morel pictures taking skills need work.
My lovely wife Christy finally came out with me for a little gravel grinding action. She's training for her first triathlon, so I think she'll be spending more time on the bike.
We had fun. I hope I can convince her to do it again.

I did my first criterium on Sunday in Iowa City at the Old Capital Crit. What a hoot. It was short - an all out effort for about 20 minutes. There is no pacing involved. If you try to pace yourself, you get dropped. I know, because I did. Afterwards we had lunch on the patio at the Atlas World Grill (title sponsors of the Atlas cycling team - now I know where the name comes from). While we had lunch we watched the women's race. It's cool to have cycling in a city venue like this. Parking is a little bit of a hassle. Oh, well. It's also cool because you get non-cycling people out to watch a race. That's nearly unheard of in Iowa.
Here are a few pictures I snapped at the race.
Sean Myers in the 40+ race:
Thad Neil on the hill in the Cat. 4 race:
Another one of Thad:
Josh Madsen in the Cat 3 race:
The rest of the pictures are here. Let me know if you want full-size versions.

6 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

I saw a nice red Cervelo with deep-V, dimpled carbon Bontrager wheels hanging just inside the door at BikeWorld that might work for Christy.

Seriously, I may never do time trials, but I'd love to hammer on that thing for an afternoon.

Paul Varnum said...

She's got a fear of going fast, and she is leary of anything that will make her go faster.
She's got infrastructure for going fast, she just needs to get past the fear.

Pete Basso said...

Paul - great shots of Thad and Josh. The one of Josh is especially cool since he appears to be in the sprint. Anyway, heard the good news on your new Dos Niner. You're going to love that ride. See you on the trails soon.

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks Pete.

The shot of Josh was a lucky one since we were just sitting on the curb and I decided to shoot a few frames as he went by.

I was so focused on Thad during the cat 4 race that I didn't even see you until I was looking at the pictures later. Like I told Lou today, it looks like you had a good day.

I'm pretty darn happy with the new bike! Hope to see you on the trails soon!

How do i get to my old stuff said...

nice pics.

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Sydney. Welcome to my humble abode.

I just shoot a bunch of pics, hope one or two of them turn out, and try to learn something from the rest.