Sunday, May 20, 2007

Seven Oaks Work Day

There was a trail work day at Seven Oaks in Boone this morning. Kyle Sedore, Kyle Robinson, Troy Tellinghusen, Cory Hentiz, Jubil Young, and a few other names that I didn't know were there. It was a good sized group, with about nine guys ready to work. I've done trail work by myself, and it is better this way.

The first order of business was to cut a new trail that would join two sections on the front side of the ski hill, and orphan the trail that runs across the top of ski hill. Between motocross and the ski season, that trail takes a beating, and needs work every year. By cutting it out, we eliminate the maintenance each year.

This is the neew section:





Mmmm, new single track.


Troy passes judgement.




Then on to the bridges, which also took a beating in the spring rains.

We reset them both, and tried to raise them up, to help reduce the possibility of another outage.







This is the new climb after the second bridge.


Looks like a chain gang.


Finally, we we survey the landslide that we didn't have time to fix today. Uggh.


In other news, teammate Thad Neil placed second in the Cat 4 Gilbert Road Race today. Congrats Thad! After the Boone MTB race was cancelled for today, I was going to race in Gilbert instead. It's in my back yard, and is put on by the local CICC team that I train with some. Then Kyle announed a work day at Seven Oaks for today, and I really felt an obligation to give some back there. I ride there all the time, and owed the place a few hours. Oh, well. Next year.

8 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

My blisters ache and my legs itch just looking at those pictures. Been a long while for these lily white hands. I used to build stone walls for a living...honestly, but I've grown soft.

Paul Varnum said...

Me too! I'm gona wear long pants next time. For some reason I figured we'd be marching single file down single track track picking up sticks. I shoulda known better. Its all good, and for a good cause.

Cornbread said...

Nice bench work there fellas. All you need now is some fresh tracks to solidify a line.

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Cornbread. Welcome to my humble abode!

Lots of bench cut trails at Boone. If it weren't for the off-camber stuff, there wouldn't be much to ride at Boone. Just stay towards the cut. We tried to rake the spoil away, but what looks like a nice wide trail will fall away down the side of the hill. And I've got the scars to prove it.

You gonna come over for the Boone 24? $1000 for 1st place solo this year.

Anonymous said...

Paul, I need to get out and ride with someone or I may just go crazy and give up on biking! I have been riding gravel a little here and there but always alone. So I was thinking of doing a night ride up R avenue to the county line, then back on U or V. Want to try it some night this long weekend? From my door it's about a three hour gig. Could meet in Jordan and do it backwards too. If you want to try it call me at work, at Redeker's, 1-800-383-3030.
Later! Greg Moore "Unravel on Gravel"

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Greg.

Sure, I'd be up for a long gravel ride this weekend. What night were you thinking about?

Anonymous said...

Looks like Sunday night would be the best choice for good gravel conditions. Some of the roadbed of R avenue is soft yet and will need the day Sunday to firm up. Call me at work and we can chat about options. Then recruit some guys to join. Not a hammerfest, just to crunch some gravel and stop for a beer or two at the turn? I would love to hear Paul and Cory spin some yarns about their races so far this year. Talk to you later. Travel Gravel!

Paul Varnum said...

Greg -

Sunday night works for me. I'll see if I can drum up a few other folks. I know Cory is out of town, but how about it Paul, Alex, Emily, Andrew, Jubil, or anybody else that is lurking out there?

The more the merrier. All are welcome. Details will be forthcoming.