Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sockum Ridge

With my episode of back pain last week, I was surprised that I was anywhere near able to ride a bike this weekend. But surprised I was.

The Salsa was still in worse shape than I was. Sure it hadn't been pushed around in a wheelchair, x-rayed, and pumped full of muscle relaxants, but it had taken a beating. I spent most of Saturday replacing brake pads and the chain, and giving it some TLC. It's still got some shifting issues, but it is doing better. But I still didn't have a bike to race today.

Christy and I drove down to Sockum Ridge with Jubil Young, a youngster from Ames. He is one fast cat. He was also riding single speed today. I hope he sticks around central Iowa for a while. This kid will win some races.

With my race bike out of commision, I decided to race my single speed Rig. I've not raced a single speed before, but I've done a bunch of single speed riding. How much different could racing single speed be?

The answer is, "Huge". It hurt, it sucked, and I got through it. What don't kill you, makes you stronger.


The race did not go the best for me. I was 6th of 6 in the single speed category. For my efforts I got a new saddle and got to hang out with good friends drinking good beer and eating great food on a great day. Not a bad deal. Andy puts on a great race!

No comments: