Sunday, May 27, 2007

Five hour Day

I got five hours in the saddle today. It's been a long time since I've done that, and it was long past due.

The day started with my lovely wife Christy and I driving over to Don Williams Lake so she could pre-ride the Iowa Game triathlon course, and so she could go for her first ride clipped in with SPD pedals. She will be doing her first triathlon there in July.

Riding through the park:


Christy was on her road bike, and I took my Dos Niner with the slow rolling Maxis Ignitor tires. I hoped this would slow me down enough to give me a good workout. It did.


Nostril cam. Someone needs to step closer to the mirror when shaving.


I spent most of the time chasing her. This was one of the few times when I was out in front.


It was a gorgeous day. Christy even shed her jacket after a while.


Between tooling around the park and the road section, we spent about two hours on the bike. It was a perfect, perfect morning.

After that I went home, did some bike stuff, and took a nap because I had promised Greg Moore that I would meet him somewhere in Boone County for a nighttime gravel ride.

At about 6:45 I set out for our meeting point.

There is still a lot of standing water in Boone and Story counties. Even the geese are confused about field/pond.


Here I am at out meeting spot. The sun is setting in the distance. It is a picture perfect night. If Iowa were like this every day, Iowa would have a population problem. Sadly, there is no population prolem at 180th and "R" ave. I'm the only one here.


So I tooled around for 20 minutes, just in case.

There is an old school near here. Cole School operated from 1880-1930. It has seen better days.

At this point I gave up on Greg, and headed for home. After about 1 1/2 miles, here comes Greg behind me like a man on a mission. Go figure.

We rode together to the north and east. After a while it got dark. I stopped to check in at home, and Greg rigged his lights.

We had a local that wanted to help Greg:


We rode on for a while longer, and at 9:30 we eventually found ourselves in Gilbert. I offered Greg a cold beer at my place, he wisely declined, and we each turned toward home. My saddle time for this leg was three hours.

Thanks to both Christy and Greg for getting me out on a bike on such a perfect day. It was a very good day on the bike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the ride and conversation. I never get tired of discovering new gravel to link together, and some of that stuff I've never seen before. But I will ride it again for sure. The moon was just bright enough to ride all of 180th back to Jordan before turning my light back on for safety. A fun time, and, I managed to drain the two 24oz. Millers that I had with me. Thanks, and as always, TRAVEL GRAVEL!!!!

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks for getting me out at a time when I would probably be sitting on the couch. It was a great ride.