Thursday, May 31, 2007

Working for the Weekend

I went out out tonight and did a little shakedown cruise on each of the two bikes that I'm taking this weekend. I'm taking the Salas Dos Niner as a geared bike in the unlikely event that we get dry conditions, and taking the the single speed Rig as my mud bike. I've decided that taking a geared bike for mud is a very effective money disposal system. I think I have them both in good shape and prepared for whatever comes.

The forecast for Omaha/Council Bluffs is not looking real promising, with a chance of heavy rain on Friday and showers on Friday night. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the place dried out last year after a good rainstorm, so maybe there is a chance. That Loess soil is different that anything else you will ride in. It is almost the texture of talcum powder. Being on a hillside, the place also drains really well.

In other news, when I was out on my shakedown on the Niner I was feeling pretty good. After a few warm-runs, I timed myself up the river hill. 55 seconds! My previous best had been 1:02. Last year my best time for 1:20. I still suck at climbing, but any improvement is good. I'll need it this weekend.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Good luck this weekend Paul!

River Hill? The one by your house?

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks Paul! I just wish it would quit raining. It's starting to feel like 1993 all over again.

Yup. The hill is the one going to the east towards my place. I time from the bridge to the driveway at the top. I also train on the one going to the west. It's longer, but not as steep. I've never timed myself on that one.

B I D W E L L said...

Good Luck PV!! Leave nothing out there!!

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks Bidwell. That's the way I'm trying to race this year. The problem is that even though I'm leaving everything out there, what I brought is seldom enough.

It's all good.