Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Skipping the Niner

After roaching the Dos Niner in it's first outing at Waverly, it has picked up an annoying drive train skip. I ignored it at first, and raced the single speed Rig at Sockum, hoping the skip would disappear if I ignored it. No luck there. So this week I set about the task of finding and fixing the skip. I used my Dad's time honored technique; replace the cheap stuff first.

Actually I didn't have to replace much. I started with cables and housings. After Waverly they were due for replacement anyway. It still skipped like a young girl on a spring day. Next I replaced the chain. It still skipped like a senior during seventh period. Next I tried replacing the rear derailleur with a spare I had laying around. It still skipped like a flat rock on a still lake. Next I swapped out the crankset with one from another bike. It still skipping like a scratched 45 (young guys ask the old guys). Finally I swapped out the cassette from another bike (the donor bike was looking pretty sad by now). Sweet. No skips at all. It's like the the vice-principal was patrolling the hallways again and nobody skips.

I rode it to work and back today, and had no issues. By the way, riding to work is way cool. Do it if you can. Even if it's just once in a while.

Tonight I put all of the inoffensive parts back on the bike and . . .it still doesn’t skip! WooHoo!

4 comments:

BB said...

Good to hear you got the skips out of the drivetrain.

Sounds like a worn cassette $$$ was the culprit. That Ingawanis is turning out to be an expensive race for all of us.

Paul Varnum said...

Any mud race is expensive. Ask me about motocross mud races some time. Ouch!

Yes, I think I finally have all the issues worked out. I'm lucky to have a spare bike to use as a donor bike. The Internet is also a valuable tool. How did folks figure stuff out in the dark ages?

BB said...

Before the dark ages? We paid our LBS oodles of money to oil our chain. ;-)

Did you check the IMBCS points file? I think all three of us - Nick, yourself and me - got allocated to sport class in the age category of our racing age rather than sport open over at the Sylvan Island Stampede. I remember writing sport open on my registration sheet and telling the lady at the registration table, but I don't think they had any category boxes to check on the form. Anyway, when I saw the file, I emailed Cam and he got my Moline race changed from sport 45+ to sport open.

Otherwise, as it stands now, you've got points spread out all over in Sport 45+, sport open and SS. Show up in a dress next race and maybe you can get some points in sport women while you are at it... ;-)

Paul Varnum said...

I saw i was all over the map with IMBCS points. Cam contacted me and we got it worked out. I think by default Cam assigns you to the class you competed in the previous year. I'll also mention it to Nick. I also thanks Cam for doing the scoring. That has got to be a BIG job.

"Show up in a dress at the next race ... ". LOL. Didn't Squirrel do that last year at Sycamore?