Monday, April 16, 2007

Sylvan Island Race Report

Here is the race report that I promised earlier. Christy and I drove over on Saturday and got a motel room for the night. It is our anniversary weekend, and this is our “outing” to celebrate. Yes, I am a lucky, lucky guy.

We got the race venue at about the same time as Bruce Neil, Sean Myers, Nick Wooley, Mike Lebeda, and Bruce Reese. We all parked together so that worked out. Shortly after that I ran into Cory sleeping in his car (just kidding). But he did look like crap. Oh to be young again, stay out all night, and race in the morning. I got registered, suited up, and went out for a ride.

Sylvan Island was just as I remember it. It was flat, technical, tight, twisty, and rough, It was great, but might not have been the best choice for this year’s single track debut. Oh, well. I’m sure every one else is in the same boat.

After pre-riding a lap with Nick, I circled back and did another ½ lap with Cory and Bruce Reese. On the ride back to the truck I ran into Bruce Brown (mind if we call you 'Bruce' to keep it clear?). We talked about the benefits of riding a full suspension on this rough course. He should get tough guy points for riding a rigid out there!

My plan for the race was to go fast at the start and beat the logjam going into the single track. I went to the start about ten minutes early with that plan in mind, only to find that ten minutes early gets you a fourth row start. Oh, well.

The whistle blew, the race started, and I proceeded to blow up. I put everything I had into the start, which ran most of the length of the island. I was somewhat cooked by the time we go the single track, but there was no bottleneck. Yes! I enter the single track with Bruce Reese, which surprised me. I usually don’t see him in a race. It was the last I would see him in this race.

At this point I figured I had my spot in the race, now I just needed to hold it for 4 ½ laps. Yeah, right. Let the fading begin. I entered the single track in about 26th, I finished with first lap in 33th, the second in 36rd, the third in 43rd, and finished the race in 44th. That’s some serious fading.

Part of the reason was starting faster that my fitness would allow. Not really a problem, because it all worked out in the end. The only other problem was that my seat bag came lose on lap three and stared to dangle. Fortunately it happened in a place where I could detach it and throw it in a jersey pocket without dismounting. Unfortunately that meant carrying my bloated seat bag (>2 lbs) in a jersey pocket for 2 ½ laps. That took a toll on my back. I should have dumped it in the feed zone, but it never occurred to me.

Enough excuses. Ride more, ride faster, and ride till it hurts. That will make you faster. Oh, and forget the stupid, heavy seat bag. Stop carrying enough stuff to overhaul the bike on the side of the trail. Carry a tube, a cartridge and nothing else. If you have a mechanical, so be it. If you don’t, you will be faster without it.
After the race we hung out and watched the experts race. Man those guys are fast. There is a reason they are called experts. I'll post some pictures eventually.

Next up for me . . . the Decorah Time Trial on April 29th.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

"Drink more, Ride faster, Ride till you Puke!"

Peace

Paul Varnum said...

He Squirrel! I was just thinking about you this morning as I looked out into the woods. It feels like its almost mushroom season. Have you been out looking?

BB said...

You can call me 'Bruce'. ;-}

Paul, I thought you were riding really strong and in good form. It's early in the season and no peaks have been reached yet, so your battle plan was a good one. I meant no disrespect when I was chatting with you about all those gravel miles you logged in the frigid months of 2007. Rather, I was trying to get you stoked to make that move with me to close the gap on the 3 or 4 riders we could see up ahead in front of the three of us during lap three.

Sorry about the seat bag woes you were experiencing. I've never ridden at Decorah, but I will be there on the 29th after judging a singing contest on Saturday the 28th in Cedar Rapids. Sounds like we'll get some good climbs. Have you ridden there before? Is it about the same kind of climbing as Boone? I'm looking forward to riding over in that part of the state after seeing lots of nice photographs of the trails at MTBR.com.

Paul Varnum said...

No disrepect taken. When you went by me, I really wanted to hang on your wheel. I even tried for a while. I just didn't have it. Maybe next time . . .

I have not ridden in Decorah. I expect it to be hilly. Damn hilly.

mr. f. g. superman said...

I can't offer much for talk, since I've never been a racer before. However, not much race simulation over the Winter, just building. I'm sure once the early races are behind, you'll get yourself dialed in.

You may have burned too many matches, but it was a good burn. Just need to buy a bigger book of them for next time.

chris hansen said...

if you dont blow up once in a while you aint racin hard enough. how you gonna know your limitations if ya dont test um. ya know well i think squirrel gives good advis too
out

Paul Varnum said...

Ineb - I think I need a big box of those old fasioned stick matches.

Chris - Yup. I hear you. You don't where your limits are unless you step over the line once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Paul, I know you don't know me much since we've only ridden together once, but I've been racing since '92 and I can say that you shouldn't be down for the results you got. You just rock what ya got and that's all you can do. I puked like a college girl at Volga on my first ever race and thought I would never race again, then a few weeks later went to Decorah and had a blast. Never regretted too many races after (except the four hour mudfest at Millville, and a hot day in Wisconsin!) Anyways, just keep on with training the way you do, eat your damn broccoli if you must, and stay away from that Templeton Rye until after the race! Also, quickie road report for western Boone County.... Dry to deep powder, frost boils everywhere, and the f'ing railroad has the road under the highbridge closed indefinitely for construction of the new bridge. Sucks! probably not going to get that road back. Later! GM Travel Gravel!

Paul Varnum said...

Greg -

We've only been on one (epic) ride together, but it feels like we are kindred spirits - perhaps even twins seperated at birth. When were you born?

Thanks for the encouraging words. I may have sounded discouraged, but that wasn't the case. I put it all out there, I had fun, and I was at my limit. What more can you ask for? I certainly got my money's worth.

Anonymous said...

Paul, Cool pics of last Sunday! Looks like a race to put on the must do list. Amen to your comments. Ride with conviction, ride for fun, ride on the edge. One thing I used to do was ride a slow lap after my races and look at the lines that are developed after all those laps by all those other people. You never notice the common line while riding because you're always micro-managing your way out of catastrophies, but looking at it later can open your eyes. Also, buffed out singletrack is one beautiful sight! Later GM Travel Gravel! P.S. Best wishes to Tranny riders from over your way!

Paul Varnum said...

Greg -
That's a good idea regarding a slow post-race ride to study lines. It won't help in that race, but it will help next time.

Probably get some good single track pics also.