Monday, April 09, 2007

Enduance on a Calm Day

I was able to skip out of work early this afternoon with the idea of getting in a four hour endurance ride. The weather had finally calmed down, and winds weren’t blasting out of the northwest, so it was time. Since the conditions and the route were benign, I would again select the fixie. Sure, the miles of spinning would get to me, but they would be easy miles.

I headed east on 170th, but didn’t get far before smoke caught my eye.

With the calm day, the Story County parks crew was burning prairie. It was fun to watch from a distance:



It was more fun up close.



They tried to control it:


But it got away from them.


As fun as it was to watch the fire, I set out on my ride.

After a few miles I saw some evidence of another biker on 170th. Call me Sherlock, but this:


and this:

tells me someone else has been out here. If you recognize the blinky, let me know. I still have it.

My companions for today's ride . . . many, many dogs. They were all friendly:



By the way, 170th quits somewhere in Marshall county:


That is also where I also quit and turned for home.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Man, you were just north of State Center. Nice ride!

I don't know... that dog doesn't look that friendly to me!

Paul Varnum said...

I know you ride on 170th sometimes. I't wasn't you red blinky then?

Anonymous said...

tomorrow looks to be freezing and rainy...and my skin/bones self doesn't like that much...so im ashamed to admit that i won't be at the group ride tomorrow...i know i know, call me a wuss all you want, but i HATE the cold

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Bryan. It's not a problem. I was going to wimp out on you anyway. Now I don't have to.

If the moutnain bike race in the Quad Cities gets cancelled this weekend, maybe I'll see you at Finchford?