Sunday, April 08, 2007

Dirty Hill Repeats

After sitting around on the couch for a while complaining about how windy it was outside on Saturday, I finally went outside to get the full effect. I had decided to do some hill repeats on the backside of McFarland. I figured that would be sheltered from the wind. On the way out, who should I run into but Andrew Carney. He was doing a four-hour endurance ride around Story County. We chatted for a bit, and went our separate ways. I tried to do hill repeats on the backside of McFarland, but it was just too mucky. So I went back to a gravel hill near my place that was sheltered from the wind. I was an OK workout, but nothing to write home about. I was left wanting more.

On Sunday morning I headed for the same McFarland trails as I had tried on Saturday. Now they were nicely frozen. I did hill repeats for an hour, stopped to pick up sticks for a while, and did some more hill repeats after that. It was a very good workout.

But I didn’t feel as if I had enough redemptive suffering to repent for my wind-fearing ways. After a 1000 calorie Easter dinner and a nap, I set out on a 2 hour gravel-grinder on the fixie in the evening. It was to be the best ride of the weekend. It had hills, flats, a little wind, and some cruising. Sweet.

For next week I’ve got the Veishea race on Saturday, and the Sylvan Island race on Sunday. I’m on the fence regarding Veishea race, but I’m definitely racing at Sylvan Island. Veishea is in my back yard, and I know the course like the back of my hand, but a win there means very little to me. If that effort detracts from my effort on Sunday, then it is not worth it as Sylvan Island is a “B” race for me. As I have said, Sylvan Island is on a course that suits me (flat and technical). My early season fitness will also serve me well. We shall see . . . Either way I will be at the Veishea race to support my teammates.

No comments: