Monday, March 05, 2007

This Guy is Ready

In a previous post I said "I'd rather ride outside, but its just not possible to get a hard, safe workout in the current conditions". Apparently my friend Paul decided to prove me wrong.

He did a metric century this Sunday on roads like this:



this:


and this:




These are roads that I didn't even want to drive on. Forget about riding a bike!

I am so not worthy. I'd rather get bit by a dog that ride 62 miles in ice and deep snow. He is definitely ready for Trans-Iowa III.

4 comments:

Paul said...

I appreciate your vote of confidence, but it will all come down to the conditions on race day. Well, most of it will come down to the conditions. Yesterday I don't think I would be finishing 300 plus miles of that muck.

Now, if I could only get some speed!

I look forward to riding with you again soon Paul.

mr. f. g. superman said...

Amen. Paul is tough as nails.

Carney said...

Ummm...correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you do several rides when it was like -30 degrees out?? Definate man points for riding in that ass numbing cold!! Let me know if you guys are planning more rides, my thumb is getting better and just in time for some warmer weather.

Paul Varnum said...

Paul - A race like TransIowa is less about speed and more about being able to suffer for long periods of time. Don't worry about the speed.

Cory - Yup.

Andrew - You are always welcome on any of our rides. We'll keep you posted. I know that Paul is planning a longish ride on the 24th (correct me if I'm wrong Paul). The total ride is 150 miles, but I thinks he has bail outs at 75 and 100 miles. I'm sure there will be rides on other weekends also. DST is this weekend, so after work/school also becomes a possibility.

Here is a link to Paul big ride http://thejacobsonfamily.blogspot.com/2007/02/sloppy-oppressive-sludgefest-150-miles_4871.html