Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Back on Track

Back on track? Singletrack that is. WooHoo!


On the way home I was checking out the farm fields. Hmmm, they are looking pretty dry. They wind is working it's magic. After turning toward home onto the gravel, yup, it's now a dusty gravel road. That's another good sign. My drive home takes me by a trailhead, so I stopped the truck and walked down the trail a little bit. Hmmm . . . tacky to soft, but mostly tacky. Certainly not sloppy like it was. It's time to get a bike out. Given the forecast, this will be the last chance for a few days.


So I headed for the first dirt ride of the year. At times the trail looked great:








Other places, not so much:




Oh. That's right. We had the ice storm of the century a few weeks ago. I've still got limbs all over my yard. I shouldn't be surprised that there are still a few limbs across the trail. OK, not a few, there are a bunch.


So, go out to your local trail system and help out with the clean-up effort. I'm sure they need the help. That's what I'm going to do.


And avoid the temptation to get out on the trails when they are wet. I saw that a few had already done that. Wet riding (or walking) leads to ruts, ruts lead to water retention, water retention leads to holes, holes lead to hate, and hate leads to the dark side (trail paving). None of us wants that.

5 comments:

BB said...

I'm jealous you got out on some singletrack. It's still too wet in these parts and of course the rain hit about mid afternoon...

Paul Varnum said...

It was great while it lasted (even thought I had to carry my bike over logs every 50 yards). As predicted the rain has the singletrack off-limits again.

Andy said...

I think I recognize those pics. Skunk river valley near Soper's Mill? My old stompin' grounds!

Emily said...

where is that? you'll have to show me some time... i'm hungry for dirt.

i wish i could jump in on the bikeworld road rides y'all are hammering out, but i work at night. :o(

Paul Varnum said...

Huevos -
Yes that's the one. The first couple of pictures are from Sopher's. The rest are from Peterson's. Did you go to school here? Sorry for the late reply. I thought I had, but the blogger gods must have munched it.

Emily -

Like I told Huevos, the pictures are from the Peterson's and Sopher's Mill area. There is a pretty big network of trails out here, but nothing too technical. It has the added benefit of being in my backyard.

For technical challenge, we go to Boone. That's some quality dirt riding, once it dries out.