Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Dropped


We had a pretty good turnout for the first Wednesday ride. Bryan, Andrew, Cory, another guy from the ISU Cycling club who's name I can't remember (sorry - no offense intended - I'm old), and me.

We headed south and east into the wind. On the Cambridge road we were able to get organized and were running a pretty good pace line across the wind. I won't kid you. The pace was fast, damn fast. At one point I dropped from second wheel to the back, because I was gassed. Cool, that's just what I wanted. Bryan and Andrew are really strong riders, and I'm lucky to have a chance to train with them.

We turned with the wind at Cambridge, and the pace picked up to about 30 mph. As we turned back north I was feeling pretty toasted, and apparently Cory was feeling the same. We both decided to let the pack (Bryan and Andrew at this point) get away from us. Cory was still feeling the effects of the SOS ride from the past weekend, and I . . . didn't have an excuse.
It was a good ride with good people. I hope we do it again.
On a related note, I stopped by the shop afterwards for some BS, and the guys mentioned the possibility of a Tuesday night fixie/single speed ride. It will be a casual ride, there would probably be a few beverage stops on the ride, and lycra will be discouraged. Details will be forthcoming . . .

6 comments:

Carney said...

Good riding with you last night. Brian and I were feeling good I guess, I'm feeling it a bit today though. Hopefully next week the wind isn't as bad....the single speed ride sounds sweet...if my bike wasn't stolen that is....

Paul Varnum said...

I hope we can make it a regular Wednesday night thing. You and Bryan were riding really strong.

Riding in the wind is just another item on the long list of things that I suck at.

Paul said...

Man, am I ever glad I didn't go! I would still be making my way home!

mr. f. g. superman said...

I've been keeping my eye out for it. I'd seen the bike before you mentioned it was stolen. It's kinda hard to miss. Permission to steal it back and kick whomever in the nuts still the order of the day?

chris hansen said...

u cant let that pussy moritz drop u. come on paul, just kiddin. wish i could have swung down for the cruise but been busy. let me know the nxt time dude.

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Chris! I think we're going to try to make it a regular Wednesday night thing. I know you guys have a regular ride in Webster City on Wednesdays, but if you can make it up some time, that would be great. I plan on coming up to WC for the Wednesday ride a few times.