Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It was bound to happen

I skipped out of work early so that I could get two hours of riding in. I warmed up on the gravel to the Roland road, and then hit it hard on the road to Radcliffe. I got about an hour of zone 3 tempo work in going out, and some zone 2 recovery time coming back.

But that’s not the point of this story. It’s been well documented that I’ve been off the bike for a few days. On the way out I sprinted past the usual dogs. On the way back I apologized to a dog about being too tired to sprint. He responded by biting me. It was just a “nip”. But it was a bite just the same. It hurt, it left a mark, and it tore a hole in my Pearl Izumi Fleece Tights.

I stopped to tell the owner about my displeasure with the situation. He wasn’t too happy, but it was hard to argue with the mark on my leg. Later he and his wife came by my place with a check to replace the damaged tights. I thanked them for doing the right thing, and then tore up the check. I had made my point (control your dogs), and didn't see the need for further punishment. I hope that I have helped make 170th street safer for cyclists.

9 comments:

Carney said...

I think I've gotten chased by a dog around that area as well. Nothing like a forced sprint to liven up the ride a bit. Sounds like your knees are doing better!!

Paul Varnum said...

Yup, the knees are doing great! Knowing that its pain, not injury, make a world of difference. We should do a ride together sometime. Your cast comes off this week, right? I was looking for you in Orthopedics/Radiology.

Paul said...

Great ride Paul. I am sorry about the dog. That really sucks. I love dogs, but I can't believe people don't control them a bit better. My wife was attacked while on a run one time, lucky she was ok, but after calling the owner they replied with, "You shouldn't run by our house then." I will end that horrow story there.

I am glad you are ok. How far east of your place on 170th was it?

mr. f. g. superman said...

I've got a couple of cans of bear spray I've been dying to use. Perhaps I should bring those along the next time we ride.

Nothing quite like petting Champ and feeling the burn. "Honey has the dog been in the Capsaicin again?"

Paul Varnum said...

Paul - It was the last house on the north side of the road before the Roland road. It’s the house that they have been remodeling.

At first the guy kind was kind of put out. “Can’t you fix them?” You don’t understand, your dog got a taste of me, and I’m pretty pissed off about it. We can let our lawyers talk about it of you’d rather.

Dog owners don’t really have much negotiating room. Your dog bit me while I was on a public road. How could that possibly be my fault?

Cory - I've shied away from the spray (until now). Instead I've tried to take the talkative, friendly approach. That had worked, until now. Maybe the dog was just being friendly also. It was his way of saying hello.

Anonymous said...

You actually tore up money (the check) that was placed in your hand?

What do you got growin' in your backyard on the trees, Paul?

Paul Varnum said...

Greg - I did it in the interest of neighbor relations. They did the right thing by writing the check, I tried to do the right thing by tearing it up.

Anonymous said...

ouch, I hope you are okay. I've got some catching up to do as far as training. Nick

Paul Varnum said...

You'll get there Nick. Are you coming to any of the training camps next month?