Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Iowa Legislative Update

I will apologize in advance for getting political, but there are a couple of bills in the Iowa Legislature that are of concern to cyclists. Two of them need our support, and one doesn't.

SF244 requires the DOT the establish policy guidelines to ensure the safety of all users (including cyclists) when designing roadways. I think this is already being done within the DOT. I suppose this is a good idea, but every time I've been on a group ride and we take the bike lane on old 30 between Ames and Nevada 1) I've been scared to death because the small distance between bikes and many, many speeding cars. 2) Someone has a flat because of all of the debris in the bike lane. The bike lanes seldom (if ever) get swept, and debris (glass, cans, metal, etc) naturally accumulates in the bike lane.

SF101 establishes a ‘Share the Road’ car license plate and allows for proceeds to be used for bicycle education. The money goes toward educating Iowans about sharing the road with cyclists. It’s for a good cause. I would get one of these if it were available. It's kind of like a voluntary tax.

HF584 requires every bicyclist to have an orange flag, carry ID, and wear reflective clothing (even during the day). I'm ok with the ID. I already wear a Road ID. I don't wear it for myself. I wear it for Christy. I'm also OK with the reflective clothing section. Any woman will tell you that shoes are clothing. All of my shoes have reflective stuff on them.

I really have a problem with the orange flag. WTF?

Here is how it reads:

"A person shall not ride a bicycle on a highway unless the bicycle is equipped with a fluorescent orange safety flag at least six by nine inches in size and displayed at least sixty inches above the ground. "

I'll say it again, WTF? Does this include road races? Can't you just see a peleton full of carbon fiber, unobtainim bikes, piloted by big-legged, yet emaciated guys, all with 6x9 inch florescent flags flapping in the breeze. We're going to look really special out there on our ten speeds.

I'll let you form your own opinions, but here is contact information for your legislator. I'll bet they would like to hear from you. Please pass this along to other interested cyclists.

3 comments:

BB said...

Whoa! We've got to ditch that orange flag requirement pronto. Is there any evidence (i.e. statistics) that supports - or more importantly refutes - the notion that a 60" orange flag improves safety for a cyclist? That would be a place to start.

Quick, somebody call Armstrong and let him know he might have to ride RAGBRAI with a orange flag on his Trek....

Paul Varnum said...

I added the "Lance factor" in my e-mail to my Senator (who is a friend of mine). Because it is a huge tourism issue, it matters.

mr. f. g. superman said...

I'm sorry, but no little flag is going to keep a car from hitting you. I've got bright colored bikes, jerseys with reflective piping and panels, reflective parts and lights, and guess who's been hit, nearly hit and not seen....me and well every other cyclist. I've personally not seet a drab invisible cyclist.