Wednesday, February 14, 2007

We're a Fragile Species

As I sit here feeling sorry for myself about my bum knee, I ponder the fragility of the human muscular/skeletal system. We have so many points of failure, it's a wonder that anything ever works. And when one of those points of failure does does it's thing, my mind will try to play tricks on me ("What If I'm like this all season", "My knee will always be like this", and "I'm never going to be able to ride a bike again"). In a previous life (60 pounds ago), I had periodic bouts of back trouble. Some of those episodes would go on for weeks. The little voices could get pretty convincing after several week of pain.

It can get depressing. So I try not to let it get to me. I still hear the little voices. But I know that they are not speaking the truth, and ignore them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been checked for possible cartilage wear and tear in the knee?

mr. f. g. superman said...

Glucosamine Chondroitin.

A little thing called Patella Chondromalacia that I had went away when I used it. I was told I had to just live with rough thinning cartilage behind my knee cap (saw the X-Ray, it was true), so I gave the stuff a try. Supposed to be good for joints. Well, something worked, either my head or the GC, don't know which don't care. All better now. Never a twinge in the knee anymore.

Paul Varnum said...

Anon - I haven't been to the doctor yet because the pain is not that bad. I'm just giving the inflammation time to settle down. I don't want to push it and make the inflammation angry. It's actually pretty good today.

Ineb - I haven't decided if it's Patella Chondromalacia (Runner's knee) or Patella Tendonitis (Jumper's Knee). I'm leaning toward jumper's knee because I was jumping when hurt it. Thanks for the GC tip, but I already take it (and a handful of other supplements) every day. Maybe my supplement routine would be a good subject for a post some day.