Sunday, February 04, 2007

Defining Your Tolerance

As I said last night, I went out today for three hours with couple of nut jobs (Cory and Paul J.), and a nut job-ette (Emily). It was about 4 below zero when we started, and the wind freshened as the day went on (freshened - that's a nice way to put it). It was freakin' cold, folks.

We decided to ride gravel into the teeth of the wind for a long as we could stand it, then sit up and enjoy the ride home. After about 10 brutal miles, that's what we did. If you ever have a chance to ride in these kind of conditions, do it with the wind. It was actually pleasant!

Emily is a pretty strong rider. She is also tough! How you deal with this kind of cold helps to define your tolerance for pain and suffering. Apparently her tolerance is pretty high.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Great riding with you today Paul. You smoked me today. Thanks for the punishment! Also, great Steamroller. That thing in awesome!

Emily said...

Really good riding with you today, Paul. I was on some kind of warm, numb high from it the rest of the day. Fun.

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Paul, it was good riding with you also. You just had an off day. Do worry about it. You're better off than the 99.99% of the population that stayed home today and watched 5 1/2 hours of Superbowl pre-game. Every bit of riding you do this time of year pays dividends later on.

I've really come to love the Steamroller. It's fun and simple to ride, and it's a great training tool.

Hey Emily. I'm glad you came out. I hope you will become a regular on these rides. I was numb, but it took me a couple of hours to get warm. BTW, you should get some kind of award for riding both days this weekend.

Emily said...

Masochist that I am, the pain and suffering were reward enough.