Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blackout Intervals

I did another set of what I am now calling blackout intervals. No, not because I blacked out while doing them. That's the workout I was doing last week when the power went out. It 30 minutes zone 2, 2X20 minutes zone 3 tempo with 5 minutes recovery in between, and 4x6 minutes cruise intervals (zone 4-5a) with 2 minutes recovery between each one. It's close to a two hour workout, and putting the cruise intervals at the end of that workout is a good way to improve your lactate threshold.

Like last week I ramped up the HR in the last two minutes of the last interval, just to see what I could get. What I got was 185 BPM. That's a new high for me. I shouldn't be so concerned about max HR, but it's a good exercise for me to take it up there for a few minutes to show that it can be done, to see how it feels, and to see who long I can keep that level of exertion. It hurts, but not to the point of failure. It's manageable.

I remember last year during the race in Council Bluffs where I got off and walked on "Heart Attack Hill". I got off because I didn't want to blow up riding it and I was already at or above my LT at the bottom of the hill. These short, high HR efforts are to train for those kind of real world over-the-top efforts. The training is as much mental as physical.

At 185 BPM my maximum HR is about 12 beats higher than the formula for my age (220-47= 173), and is about 4 beats higher than it was this time last year. I don't know if it's training, or better tolerance for pain. Probably both.

In other news, I've spent some time updating the Team 14 Blog. Check it out!

5 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

Way to go, but you do know that thing has only so many beats?...better conserve.

Read that "genius" piece of knowledge somewhere.

Don't know for sure, but I think you have me beat by a couple bpm according to your equation. Yet another goal for me as I get older. Gee thanks for the pressure.

Paul Varnum said...

No pressure intended.

Did you get a heart rate monitor? Last I knew you were avoiding them.

Paul said...

Paul, I am so glad to hear that you are riding so strong after your little "scare" with your knee. Keep it up buddy.

mr. f. g. superman said...

Yer right, no heart rate monitor...yet?

I've topped out on the machines at the Rec at 200 (+?). Don't remember how high exactly, or how accurate those things are. Perhaps I should really give it to myself and see how fast I can get the thing pumping.

Paul Varnum said...

I would imagine that the HRMs on the machines are pretty accurate. 200+? Damm!