Friday, February 16, 2007

Long Weekend

It's gonna make for a a long weekend without me being able to ride my bike. My doctor took a look at my knee said we could either let if go a little longer, or he could refer me to an orthopedist. I elected to go the orthopedic route, as I've waited long enough. I've got an appointment on Monday.

I read something on a message board a few weeks ago. A few guys were talking about being sick, and not riding while sick, for fear of making the illness last longer by doing so. The wisdom offered was this -- A week of training lost this time of year sets you back a week. Two weeks of training losts sets you back a month.

I've already lost a week. I don't really want to lose any more.

5 comments:

gjc said...

hey good luck on the knees. Paul J's friend and a buddy of mine all the way back to junior high, Jim, is suffering terrible knee problems right now and has not been on the bike for two+ weeks. Old age, old knees, cold weather are not a good combo.

but, if we pay attention and take care of things now, we should all still be cycling when we are 100. So, hang in there.

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks for the encouragement Gary.

I've had pretty good luck with my knees so far. Sure they get a little sore and noisy sometimes, but that's normal.

I went downstairs and got on the rollers for a few minutes this afternoon. It didn't hurt! I'll try it again tomorrow and see how it feels.

Paul said...

Great seeing you this morning Paul. Thanks for riding along side me. I always wonder what is going to happen when someone comes up on me that slowly! %^)

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well today!

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks Paul.

It funny how you can recognize someone's pedal stoke as easily as you can recognize their face. I knew if was you from 100 yards away.

The knee feels pretty good today. It still hurts a little climbing stairs, but it's better. I'm getting on a bike this afternooon, unless the Dr. explicitly forbids it.

Paul said...

It is interesting that you were able to recognize me by my pedal stroke as you are always ahead of me on our rides! %^)

So, what is it about my pedal stroke that you notice anyway? I certainly would be interested.

Have a great afternoon and enjoy the weather!