Saturday, February 10, 2007

I'm Back, and Then I'm Gone Again

Regular readers know that I've been struggling with motivation for the last couple of days. I suppose it's a common theme this time of year, especially with the long string of cold days we've had. I want to thank all of you who have offered encouragement and/or commiseration. It really does help.

I think my lack of motivation could have been caused the weather. It could have been caused by a tetanus shot I got at my annual physical (which left me feeling achy all over for a few days). It could have been caused by switching from rollers (which I like) to a trainer (which I hate).

I had a volleyball match last night. So, last night before the match I got on the rollers for a 2X20 tempo session, which felt great! I'm back! Then I went to volleyball, spent about 25 minutes stretching before the match, and proceeded to mess up my knee in the first game of the match.

It's not too bad. It's just a little pain behind the patella. I can walk on it just fine, but stairs and jumping hurt a little. Fortunately there are no stairs or jumping in cycling until 'cross season, which is a long ways off.

The knee pain could be any one of several things. The first line of defense for any of them is rest, and avoiding any activity that causes pain. I don't know if cycling causes pain yet. I'm kind of afraid to find out.

I don't think its any big deal. I'm going to skip VB on Sunday, and stay off the bike for a few days, and we'll see it goes. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Carney said...

Welcome to the injured list....

Paul Varnum said...

I feel you pain . . . and it sucks!

One of the more frustrating parts about it is that I think the injury occurred while (or shortly after) 25 minutes of stretching. I must be doing something wrong.

During the stretching, I was working my IT bands pretty hard, maybe too hard.

Pete Basso said...

Paul, hope you get to feeling better soon. Maybe it was a sign to take a little break while the weather sucks. get your body 100% and hit it hard again. As you know, I struggled with motivation last week too. It's hard to get excited about riding when it's below zero and dark outside!!

Paul Varnum said...

Its amazing how hard it has become to just sit on the couch. I'm not very good at giving an injury time to heal. In my mind I know that this kind of inflammation takes time to heal, but right now I just want to get on the bike and ride.