Monday, February 12, 2007

Eat Like a Cave Man

Over the weekend I've been reading a new book "The Paleo Diet for Athletes". I can hear it now, "Not another diet book!"

No, this one is different. It is written by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel. The basic premise of the book is that we should be eating like a cave man, because that is what our digestive systems have become accustomed to, evolutionarily speaking. Our diets have gone through a tremendous change over the last 500 years. Even bread and pasta are only about 10,000 years old. In the terms of human evolution (a few million years), that is a fairly rapid change.

The authors suggest that we should be eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish, and lean meat. You know, the kind of food a cave man might have been able to find. I'm guessing the cave man didn't spend much time in the drive thru at Booger King or Taco Hell. And, have you ever noticed that the guys in the Geico commercials look really slim and fit?

The authors also say that our diets should also include carbohydrates only during or immediately after hard exercise, to replace the carbs that were expended. Carb loading before a race or hard ride actually hurts your performance.

The diet isn't really about weight loss. Its more geared towards improved athletic performance and recovery. I'm gonna give it a try. If you see me carrying a club and dragging Christy around by the hair, you'll know it's working. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

After reading your post she may club you over the head and drag you around by the hair.

Maybe the new diet will let you out run her though.

It makes sense. Sounds like what I eat, but I include bread, and fish on occasion.

Paul Varnum said...

It wasn't too far off from my current diet, except for the bread and pasta. I pretty much avoid sugar and sweets, and was already eating lots of fruit and veggies. I am gonna miss the pasta . . .