Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Death in the Family

There was a death in the family today. That death was mine. I died in a convenience store in Ogden at about 2:00 this afternoon.

This is the face of death (notice that I've lost control of my bodily functions).

But let me start from the beginning. Squirrel showed up at my place at 9:00 sharp for OP’s Trans-Iowa Training Ride (no acronyms please, were trying to keep our PG-13 rating).

No, I'm not doing Trans-Iowa, I just hang out with some nut jobs that don't know when to stop riding their bikes. Speaking of bikes, this is Squirrel's sweet looking Schwin Traveller.

After some BS and coffee we headed for Paul’s place in Gilbert. We got there a little early.

Instead of standing around, we headed to Ames on the gravel. When got to the backside of Ada Hayden, we turned around and headed back to Paul’s. That part of the ride was very pleasant. The pace was good, the gravel was great, and the wind was mild. It wouldn’t last.

At Paul’s we hung around for a few minutes, then we were off.

I was on the TriCross, Squirrel on his Schwin Traveler SS, Cory on his Cannondale SS, Alex was on his Surly CrossCheck, and OP was on his IBEX hardtail.



Apparently the moron disease is contagious, because OP forgot his helmet. Unlike me, he noticed, and we went back for it.

Once again, the pace was good, the company was great, but the wind had stiffened bit. Even then, riding into the teeth of the wind was doable. After going west for a few miles, we turned south. That was great. There was just enough tailwind to give a guy hope. The good feelings would not last, and we turned west on a particularly brutal leg of the ride. I slugged it out, but it took a toll.
We finally got to the Ledges for a rejuvenating rest break, where Greg Moore joined us on a single speed. At the rest stop I ate some, I drank some, and I felt a lot better.

The ride through the lower Ledges canyon was especially cool.


Then we started the first of our big climbs. It’s well documented that I suck at climbing. I was the last man up on the climbs, by not by as much as I would have guessed. I’m still slow, but I'm getting better. On the second climb, I used Steve Lauber’s technique. Break away on the descent, and give it back on the climb. It worked, but I’ve never worked harder to maintain 20 mph on a Des Moines river descent (the descent was into the wind – now a very stiff wind).

Back on the gravel, another stiff climb, out into the wind, and I’m off the back. I’m really feeling the pain now. It’s not a sweet kind of pain that you get on a climb. It was more like a sour kind of pain that really hurts. The time spent in zone 4-5 was really taking a toll. The guys waited for my at a turn (still into the wind), and we slogged into Ogden. We were struggling to make 10 mph. We stopped at the aforementioned convenience store on Ogden where I was hoping for the same kind of amazing rejuvenation as the rest stop in the Ledges. When I got off the bike, I felt dizzy, had tunnel vision, and staggered into the store. I looked like death (see "face of death" above).

I figured I’d eat something, I’d drink something, and I’d feel better. Boy was I wrong. I was too zapped to even choke down a gatorade. I felt like yakking. When the other guys started gearing up, I announced that I could not go on, and was calling in the Life Flight (Christy). I got several surprised/concerned looks, and a slightly relieved look from Squirrel, who said he would stick with me (what a guy).

The remaining nutjobs took off. Squirrel and I hung out in Ogden waiting for Christy.
Squirrel has a moment of silence in memory of the dearly departed.



On the way home, we tried to follow some the remaining route so that we could do some heckling/rider support. We drove through Fraser and the YMCA camp at 3:30. We never did see them. I wonder if they are still out there?

While climbing the YMCA hill (in the warmth of my truck) a furry rodent ran out in front of the truck. I hit the brakes. Christy's reaction was "Don't brake for squirrels!". After a a whimper from the back seat, and a quick apology, all was well.
What did I learn from this?

1) Squirrel is a great guy to hang out with. I should do this whenever I can.
2) I’m really glad I didn’t take either the Steamroller fixie or the SS Rig.
3) These guys are all really strong. I am weak. But I’m working on it.
4) Spend more time riding in the wind. The hills didn’t bother me near as much as the wind. Apparently that’s one more thing that I suck at.
5) Never, never, never, never (I mean never) consider doing TransIowa. I’ve fantasized about endurance racing from time to time. Based on today’s results, I’m not built for that.
For what it's worth, here is my elevation/HR profile. I spent WAY too much time in zone 4-5.
.

9 comments:

Paul said...

Awesome write up Paul! Next time we will attach some rope to Squirrel's bike and he can just pull us through the wind!

Well.... I guess we did draft off of him the whole way! %^)

It was great to meet you. I am sure we will ride again soon!

Anonymous said...

Paul, I had a "fun"time riding with you guys today. As much fun as one can have, considering that I hate the wind with extreme prejudice! We'll have to go again sometime soon. I'm starting to feel like my training for this year should start now and not in March or April, or at my first race where I always say, "I'll race my way into shape this year." Later, Greg Moore, Travel Gravel!

Unknown said...

I am NOT WORTHY.....great day mates:) I learned the 44x20 isn't going to cut it:) Maybe 44x23....yup I'll try that one next:)

Peace

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul. This is Alex. I just wanted to say great writeup and great pics. Cool elevation map in there too. That was a brutal day for sure. It was great to finally meet with you guys, and the conversation, the bikes, even better:) Great ride!

gjc said...

I am not technologically hip, so can I ask a really naive, possibly even stupid, question?

What wonderful gadget do you have that plots elevation and heart rate simultaneously? I want one.

Gary--erstwhile Michigan friend of OP of Gilbert fame.

Paul Varnum said...

Hey guys! Glad that everyone got home safe. It really was a fun ride. It's all about learning where your limits are. I sure found out.

Gary - I used my wife's Garmin Forerunner 301 (Garmin also make a bike specific model). It's a GPS with a HRM. It's pretty cool, if you like to look at ride/training data. I don't use it often, but this felt like it was gonna be an epic ride, so I strapped in in the bars.

Carney said...

Hey Paul, This is Andrew Carney. Sounds like it was a brutal ride!! Let me know if you guys are planning another ride being that winter is never going to come. I'm looking for some people to ride with so I can avoid the trainer and rollers as much as I can

Later,
Carney

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Andrew. I ran into you out at Peterson's a few months ago.

I hear you on staying of the rollers/trainer as much as possible. I've only had to do the rollers a few times this winter, and am proud to say I haven't been on the trainer yet. It can't last forever. As much as Sunday's ride hurt, I'd take that over two hours on a trainer.

I'm sure there will be more rides. Cory and I have been trying to ride every weekend. You are always welcome to come along. Details will be posted here, and probably also on Cory and Other Paul's blogs. Those guys are training for TransIowa, so they will really start ramping up the mileage.

Hope to see you on one of the rides.

that dave said...

great post. awesome ride.