Monday, January 15, 2007

Day Off

No, not a day off from training, but a day off from work. Like my Grandpa used to say, I feed at the public trough (I'm a government employee). I'm using the time off to do some more work on core strength, and to do some weightlifting. Christy has also promised to give me another Yoga lesson (I especially like the Corpse pose - I could do that for a long time). She has a few poses that will help to correct the muscular imbalances created by cycling.

Given that we have about 6 inches of fresh, powdery snow, I am also going to dust off my cross county skis. We don't get ski-able snow very often, and it gets tracked up pretty quickly, so it's best to take advantage of it while I can.

Speaking of cross training, last night I played volleyball for the first time in about 12 years. I used to play quite a bit (3-4 nights a week in the winter). The team I'm on is made up of the same people that I used to play with 12 years ago. We all quit playing at about the same time, so we were all equally rusty. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the fundamentals came back to me. My timing still needs a little work, but I'll get there.

Volleyball is a great cardio workout, and the constant jumping is great for the legs. My main goal for the season (8 weeks) is to stay off the floor, and to stay healthy. So far, so good, although my hitting shoulder is a little sore today.

On the weight front, I tipped scales at 194 this morning. That's the same weight I was at on December 18th. I feel like I'm getting somewhere, but the scale doesn’t show it. 15 more pounds. That’s all I want. Where ever I am at the end of March is where I will stay for the season. Running a calorie deficit and racing don't mix. Either way, I'll be glad when it's over. I'm getting sick of steamed broccoli.

2 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

Perhaps one day the quote in your banner be true, but not yet. I always think of you, and you seem, much younger than you are. Probably why I've gotten myself into trouble referring to "old guys" and have you correct me by saying, "actually I think they're younger than me."

Maybe it's just me refusing to think of myself as getting older. Peter Pan syndrome. Hmm, a trend? No intention to marry, have kids or settle down...except for maybe a puppy or two.

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks for the kind words. I try to not let my age slow me down, and I take pride in the fact that many of the guys I ride with are 10-20 years my junior. You know what they say, 50 is the new 30.

As for the banner, that's just my self depricating way. I saw a quote on MTBR the other day, "He was big for a cyclist, so all of his coworkers referred to him as the skinny guy". It's all about perspective.