Monday, January 22, 2007

The Advantages of Being Old

Today starts another rest week for me. I can hear it now, "What, another rest week?!?". I'm on Freil's senior plan. Us old guys only have to go hard for two weeks, and then we get a rest week. I used Friel's regular schedule at the start of last year (3 weeks on, and one week off). By the end of the third week I was grumpy, cranky, tired, and no fun to be around. Right now, after two hard weeks, I’m a little tired, but otherwise I feel great. If I did one more long week, it might be a different story. That Joe Friel is a pretty smart guy.

On the menu this week is the last of the MS weightlifting, some more core strength work, maybe a Yoga session, a little XC skiing, and I might even ride the bike a few times. Somehow I've got to squeeze that all into a mere 5 1/2 hours of training time. But any bike riding I do will most likely be indoors. Have you looked out the window lately?

3 comments:

gjc said...

I dig the senior plan, but my mind keeps telling me that I am in my early 20s.

Paul Varnum said...

I've had that problem also. I still try to think and act like a youngster. But occasionally my mind has written a check that my body couldn't cash.

gjc said...

You got that one right. I bounce checks all the time--with TI VIII being the latest.