Saturday, November 04, 2006

TOBASCO Ride Report

I was feeling a little better today so I thought I would ride the portion of the TOBASCO (Tour of Boone and Story county) route that was close to home. The route came within a 1/4 mile of my front door. It would have been a shame to miss it. The total route runs 159 mile in a loop of Boone and Story county gravel, "B" roads, and even some single-track.

My plan was to ride the route backwards from about mile 88, and meet up with the others at some point during the route. I wasn't sure when I would meet up with them. So, I just went slow, and enjoyed the ride. I started at the Bear Creek access by the Skunk river, and rode north to Anderson canoe access.

The wood are pretty this time of year.



Apparently this was the Sycamore Trail from a previous time:



This is always a nice spot to take a break.



And, finally out on to some vintage Iowa gravel:


I worked my way south and east (into the wind) following the TOBASCO cue sheet

I knew I was going the right way because there were several "B" road sections. All but one spot was passable.




And then I came on this curiosity:

Apparently the Iowa Prairie Bear, long thought to be extinct, is alive and well in northeastern Story county.


When I was just about ready to give up on the TOBASCO riders, they popped over the hill.



It was Matt (the organizer), Cory, and Nick.


Finally, back to the single-track:


Cory was riding strong on the Cannondale today. I struggled to keep up with him.



Matt and Nick were both riding Crosschecks.



Oops. Cory flatted right at the end of the single track.



At least he had a good spot to fix it.


and an audience:


After the single track we rode the 1/4 mile up the hill to my house where they filled camelbacks and drained bladders. Then they took off to complete the last 40-60 miles of their journey.

For the day I did around 50 miles of gravel, "B" road, and single-track. I went pretty easy going out, an we went lots faster coming back. It was way better than laying on the couch, moaning about being sick, and I felt better during the ride than I had all week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! It was nice bumping into you on the route.

Paul Varnum said...

How did the rest of the day go. Did you guys get in before dark?

Anonymous said...

Just. We decided in the end to cut out the segment to Stratford which saved us about 30 miles. We could have handled the hills with only a visit or two to the hospital afterward, but getting in early proved a safer choice I think.

I don't have enough to go on, but as Sunday wore on I think the Recover-Ease may have quelled the aching a bit. I might have to give it a real trial over the winter.

Unknown said...

Would have been nice to ride that, but I don't think I would have been able to do the Dirty Duathalon. Great pics.

Linking you up today:)

Peace

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Squirrel!

Thanks for stopping by my humble abode. Looks like you did well in the Dirty Dualathon. It was a great day for it.

My friend Cory is hosting a Dualaton here in Ames in early December if you into that kind of thing. I'm gonna help him put it on, but I'm not racing, cause old fat guys and running do not mix.

Stop in here again if you are in the neighborhood!