Sunday, November 26, 2006

Jingle Cross Rocks!

Christy and went Jingle Cross in Iowa City today. What a fun event! This race is the real deal. Out of state license plates out-numbered Iowa plates in the parking lot. If people are going to drive a few hundred miles for a race, they must be fast.

We got there about an and hour and 20 minutes before my race (cat 3/4), so I was little rushed getting ready (I like to take my time). Since I didn't have much time, something had to give.

At race time I ran through my mental checklist:
  1. No real warm-up. Check.
  2. No pre-ride of a tricky, technical course. Check.
  3. No real 'cross-specific training. Check. (OK, I did ride on grass once this week).
  4. No real cardio training of any kind in the last month or so. Check.

So, after going through the checklist, I sized up my competition. Rob, Kyle, Jay, Marco, Dominic, Dennis, and Andy were there, to name a few. Looking at them I started to think I was in the wrong race. I checked my USAC license. Yup, still cyclocross cat. 4. Damn. I guess I'm in the right place.

I started off in the back, to save other the trouble of passing me. It worked. I cut a few blistering nine minutes laps. The best Christy had to offer was "You're staying consistent!". She always finds something positive in any situation. The run-up on Mount Krumpit really hurt, but the crowd on Mount Krumpit was great! There is nothing like hot chicks screaming the top of their lungs to motivate you. They even offered cookies on the last lap. More on Mount Krumpit later.

As best as I could tell I finished DFL in 50th place. But I finished. No matter how much it hurt, I was going to finish. There are several others behind me in the results, because they didn't finish. I did.

After the race I popped a cold one, and Christy and I hiked up Mount Krumpit to watch the elite races. What a cool place to watch a 'cross race. We hung out on the hill with the loonies that had previously been cheering me on. It didn't take long until we were assimilated by the loonies, and were screaming encouragement to the racers. It was cool.

Much respect to the promoters of this event, and to everyone that raced in this event. Best DFL I've ever had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"But, I finished. No matter how much it hurt, I was going to finish." Well said, well done. You know how I feel about this Paul. Nick