Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Barrier Hopping Nonsense II

I went out for a ride today with Bryan and Alex.


We started at Ada Hayden and went to McFarland Park, where I had stashed my 'cross barriers. Once we got to McFarland and set up a 'cross course, we sent Bryan off as the rabbit. I started off chasing, but that didn't last long. Alex went around me and grabbed Bryan's wheel. After that I was able to keep up only by skipping the run-up on most laps. It was fun to watch from my perspective, until Bryan went down on an off-camber corner with Alex on his wheel. Ouch!


We decided to slow down after that, and carried the barriers back to my place.


You can guess what happened next . . .

6 comments:

Paul said...

I must have just missed you! I was on that trail around 4:45 or so. I was riding a lot of the trails at McFarland and then made my way up to Story City via the Green Belt. Sorry to have missed you guys.

Paul said...

Oh yeah, someone biffed it when they hit a rut! It has happened to me on that trail once and I have had several close calls! The left tread (going north) is the worst one.

bontrag said...

Sorry to miss ya Paul. Next time.

Paul V - Thanks for putting up the pics, I appreciate it (along with beverages of course:))

I was glad to have some quick tips, now I just gotta practice a bit more.

Paul Varnum said...

Paul -

I can't imagine how we missed you. We were riding circles on the prairie from 4:30 to 5:15. Oh well. Next time.

Bontrag -

The nice thing is you can practice dismounts any time and any place. Next thing you know you'll start seeing barriers and run ups as you ride around town.

Another nice thing is that the dismounts/remounts translate pretty well to some mountain bike situations. I've seen Thad open a pretty good gap in a MB race because he was able to get off, over an obstacle, and back on so fast.

bontrag said...

Very true Paul, thanks. Looks like some rain this weekend possibly.

Paul Varnum said...

Bontrag -

Regarding rain this weekend? That is what 'cross is all about. I'm kinda looking forward to a muddy, sloppy race. It'll be fun! See my next post.