Monday, July 30, 2007

Seven Oaks

I went out to Seven Oaks to do a few laps in a continued effort to shake off the cobwebs that accumulated during my mid-season break. My companions for the day were Team 14 mates Nick and Aaron.


Nick is well known in Iowa mountain biking circles – everyone has met Nick. Aaron is a young mountain biker that has shown some real promise lately. He recently won a Gold medal in the Iowa Games mountain bike race a couple of weekends ago. He has a background in track and cross-country, so endurance sports are not new to him

We all met up in the parking lot and took off on the course. Seven Oaks is in great condition right now. The tread is perfect, the moisture content is perfect, and everything is pretty well maintained. Aaron led, with Nick and I taking turns chasing him. Aaron had no trouble staying in front of me. He didn’t even look like he got winded doing it. Nick and I got a good workout chasing Aaron.

After the first lap, Nick stayed in the chalet to watch the end of the Firecracker 400 (wtf?), while Aaron and I rode another lap.

This was right after Nick told me he'd rather watch cars going in circles than ride his bike.

I was feeling pretty good this lap. My legs had opened up some, and I was keeping up with Aaron on the flats (on the hills - not so much).

Then I went over the bars. I happened so fast I didn’t have time to prepare (probably lucky). I was setting up for the G-out, and in my approach I clipped a tree with my bars, and I went head first into a mulch pit. Lucky for me it was nice, soft mulch. I got up, brushed myself off, took inventory of my bits, and headed back down the trail.

Gotta give a shout out for my Oakley Half-Jackets. This is the second time that I have pile driven them into the ground (the first was at Lewis and Clark). In both cases I landed face first, and I just assumed that the glasses were destroyed in the crash. In both cases the glasses came out unscathed. I’ll stop short of calling them indestructible, but they are pretty darn durable. They are definitely more durable than I am.

3 comments:

BB said...

I guess that's how Nick trains for the 24 hour race at Seven Oaks - he watches cars do laps. :-)

I thought about driving up when I read your blog post on Saturday, but my wife had already asked me to do a Sunday road ride with her.

Speaking of the 24 hour race, do you organize any of the Team 14 members into groups who need to be put in a group? I know you have your group of 4 already hooked up, but was wondering about other quartets.

mr. f. g. superman said...

I'm not a violent person by nature, but my foot may find its way to soft tissues if I was given that excuse.

Trail was in great shape tis true. Going to go out again sometime this week to hit it at speed with the 1x1.

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce -
I'll be sending out a Boone 24 organizational e-mail soon. We'll work it out.

Ineb - Let me know when you're going. Maybe with the 1x1 and the big fat tires I can keep up with you - but I doubt it.