Friday, July 06, 2007

A Little Thinking

I''ve been doing a little thinking about last week's XC race at Boone. Here's what I've come up with:
  1. I think I've finally got all of the shifting issues resolved with the Sasla. Lets see, I replaced the chain, a chain ring, cassette, cables, and housings. Yup, that fixed it. Mud races are expensive. I knew that when I threw my leg over the bike at Waverly. At the time Kyle and I discussed riding to the top of the gravel hill, and DNFing, but it didn't happen. Next time I race in the mud it will be on a single speed.

  2. The 29er wheels rocked at Boone. I cleared the "G" out both times, and cleared a few switchbacks (because of momentum and tires) that weren't doable last year. And I didn't have any issues in the tight stuff. That bike is really starting to grow on me.

  3. The WTB Nanoraptors also rock. I was able to stand up and crank on climbs where I would have spun out last year on 26er Michelin XCR drys. Both tires were running slimed tubes at 40 psi. I don't know if it is the tires, or the bigger contact patch of the 29er tire. Frankly, I don't care. I've found my hard pack tire. We'll see how it works at Iowa Games next weekend, although I also considering running a 'cross tire for that race (for that matter I'm also considering riding a 'cross bike). We shall see.

  4. Climbing up the Boone ski hill 10-12 times sucks when you are still 20 lbs. overweight. OK, 20 lbs over cycling weight. Around the office I'm known as the skinny guy.

  5. Troy, Kyle, Ron and the rest have done a great job with Boone. I should ride there more often. I would if I weren't racing most weekends. Oh, well.

  6. You would think that racing seven weekends out of the last twelve, I would be in better shape. Well , OK . . . that I would have better results. Oh, well.

  7. This is really all just training for 'cross season!

We'll see you in Clear Lake!

5 comments:

BB said...

Glad your Dos is healed up from the Boy Scout Camp mUdFeST.

Aren't we all supposed to look skinnier in black? Forget about the 20 pounds. Just jump into one of those Team 14 black onesies for the sleek look. "-)

What kind of shape are the Peterson Pits trails in at the moment? Nanos should rock there. My memory is there are a couple of sandy sections (Nanos do well in that junk) and not too much climbing. I can't remember about roots though. Are there some bumby sections with lots of roots?

I think my daughter has 2 soccer matches in Ames on Saturday. I'm going to try to work it out to drop her at the first match, race the Peterson Pits race and then pick her up from the 2nd match (or some kind of coordinated effort like that).

Carney said...

40 psi!! Try dropping that by 5 or so pounds and you shouldn't spin out on any of the climbs in Boone. I prefer something around 33. FYI

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce ~

Black may be thinning, but it doesn't actually take any weight off.

Nanos should be perfect a0t Peterson's. Very few roots there. I'll try the 'cross bike and let you know.


Carney - If I drop below 40 psi I get pinch flats. I've tried.

Carney said...

Really, I only start to get pinch flats at around 30 Psi. I don't think I'm that much lighter than you at about 175?? ..huh

Paul Varnum said...

Carney,

I run about 197, but I carry it really well. I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned. Well, maybe I'm a little fat. Dropping another 20 lbs would help me in many ways, one of which is dropping my tire pressure.