Sunday, July 08, 2007

Clear Lake Road Race

Christy and I went to Clear Lake for the Road Race today. Actually we went up on Saturday night because Oakley Rob told he was going to be there on Saturday, and we couldn’t resist the chance to spend a few quality hours hanging out with Rob.

While catching up over dinner and a few beers, we hatched an evil plan for world domination of the Clear Lake cat 5 race. More about that later.


We arrived at the Surf Ballrom on Sunday morning for the race.




Bruce Neil - Mechanic Extrodinaire:



Lots of Team 14 going on:



The Cat 4 Team 14 crew:



No wonder its so windy up here. They had these big fans everywhere running full blast during the whole race. Gotta keep the rich folks at the lake cool I guess.


I've observed that there are two types of road racers. This first type tries to try to hang with the main group and hopes for the best in a sprint, and the second type tries to blow the main group apart and lets the gods of fitness sort it out. Depending on the race, any racer can find themself in either category. Today, because I was teamed up with Rob, I found myself in the second group for the first time.

Rob and I had concocted a plan to go on a suicide break sometime near the end of the windward leg of the race. On the way out, I chatted with Carl Buchanan, and invited him to join us in our evil plan. He was eager to join in, as he was riding alone.

There was a single rider break or two going out, but it was nothing to be concerned about. We let them dangle out front, but they always came back. While going out into the wind, Rob, Carl, and I all spent a fair amount of time on the front. It was great to be setting the pace, but it was more effort that we wanted to give. Oh, well.

Finally, when we were about 2 miles from turning with the wind, things lined up. Rob was close to the front (but not on the front), I was on was on his wheel, and Carl was on mine. And, we had a clear shot to the front.

I said to Rob, “Rob, go”.

He said “You mean now?”.

“Yes, go!”.

It was to be the break that would stick to the end. Unfortunately I was not able to hang with the break that I helped to create. About seven of us got away. I was the first to drop (it figures). I think the rest stayed away until the finish. I faded badly after that, but I did what I came to do.

Oh, and Chris Hansen won ANOTHER race! Afterwards Chris gave the shocker to the 3rd place finisher. That guy chose to leave the podium rather than submitting to the continued abuse.

3 comments:

Carl Buchanan said...

Nice work at the race Paul. Thanks for keeping me in the loop, I owe you one.

Paul Varnum said...

Thanks Carl. I'm glad it worked out for you. We'll see you at the Boone 24.

Thaddeus Neil said...

I guesss it was a shocking experience for Jerod on the podium. Great job Paul. I like how you are learning to work the peleton and finding alliences to help you achieve your goals. Keep working, I have no doubt that you will stick one of these soon.