Thursday, July 19, 2007

It's Time


That's me kicking back on the deck after my first run in about a year. It's a rest week for me so it was a good time for something different. I've also been preaching the benefits of running around the 'net, so today seemed like a good day to start eating my own cooking.

It was not a long run, or a fast run. It was 3 miles in about 30 minutes. But it felt pretty good. The funny was I couldn't get my legs to run fast enough to get winded. I guess my heart and lungs are a lot stronger that my running legs.

Running has some good points:
  • Don't need to check air pressure in runnning shoes before a ride.
  • Never had a running shoe get a flat.
  • No lubing of chain to worry about.
  • Good running shoes lots cheaper than a good bike.
  • Don't need to worry about wind direction on a run.
But I'd still rather ride my bike. Now where did I put those practice barriers . . . .

7 comments:

Neve_r_est said...

Counterpoints
1)Never had a flat on your running shoes? I take it you've never had Nike trainers with their fancy air soles...psssh, psssh, pssh....

2)No chain to lube? My knees creak and my ankles pop. Triflow just ain't doing it.

3)Good running shoes cheaper than a good bike? Maybe. Asics Kayano $150, fixie road bike $200. Ok, barely.

4)Headwinds can make a difference, especially with this years funky weather.

But yes, I really need to get running;)

DG

Paul Varnum said...

Hey DG,

Thanks for stopping by. Yup, good counterpoints. Running really does suck for us tall guys. It can be done, but it takes a toll. My knees sound like rice crispies.

Julie said...

I'm just the opposite, I get winded before my legs get tired. Once I get past the winded part, I can do OK!

Carney said...

I gave that running crap up a few years back....no coasting = no fun.

Paul Varnum said...

Julie -

Sounds like you just need to do a better warm-up. Like I should talk. Streching, we don't need no stinking streching.

Carney -
Umm, No Coasting = No Fun? What 'bout a fixie where no coasting = great fun?

Julie said...

It's the asthma, once I get past a certain point and have it controlled I do OK!

Neve_r_est said...

Fixie = fixie skids, backwards circles, Friday night fixie rides = great fun. Ooo, don't forget fixed CX, fixed trailriding...unicycling...

Perfect tool for those of us who not only fail understand the proper use and maintainence of those shifter thingies, but also manage to destroy freewheels. Plus.... its fun as shit.

DG