Monday, July 23, 2007

A Little OT

I try to keep this blog on topic, but ocassionally I stray. Today is one of those days.
We have a new addition to the family!


He is a 70 lb slobber monster that Keaton has named Charlie (I voted for a manly name like "Duke", but was voted down). He is a two years old labradoodle. Previously he belonged to an older gentleman who passed away. Needless to say he has some separation anxiety issues that we are working through.
Christy and I lost a dog a few years ago (he had been with me for 16 years), and it was very hard on both of us. We decided to wait a few years to take on another one. With Christy's retirement, now is a good time. They have bonded.


You'll be seeing him at the 'cross races this fall.
Oh, back on-topic, I did a couple of hours of gravel on Saturday, some Story county single-track on Sunday, and some hill repeats tonight. I'm still trying the shake the effects of a rest week. Rest weeks are necessary in the big picture, but they result in some dead legs for a few days. I'm almost back. There is no hurry.
I'm at a dead spot on the schedule, so it is a good time for some rest and rejuvenation. The next race on my schedule isn't until Sugar Bottom on August 19th, but I might try to make it down to the Waterworks practice series on the 9th. I had considered doing the state road race championship, but then I looked at a map. Have I mentioned that I suck at climbing?

5 comments:

Carney said...

Hey Paul,

I was lookin through a bunch of old pictures I have from last years Boone 24 and I found a pretty sweet one of you that a buddy of mine took. If you want it shoot me your email and I'll send it to you. Mine is carneyam@gmail.com.

Peace

BB said...

Charlie (you can always call him Duke for short) looks to be a very friendly dog. I've only heard positive things about Labradoodles. All the benefits of a Labrador, but without as much shedding and less smell. Trust me on the smell - I've got 2 labs.

Chuckles should be good for some mountain biking riding with you as well over at Peterson Pits when the temperatures are not above 80. Labs love to swim and they are good for about 30 - 40 minutes of trail riding before they are tuckered out (longer in the spring and fall due to cool temperatures).

Paul Varnum said...

Carney,
Thanks! I sent you an e-mail.

Bruce,
So far he has not shed a single hair! Slobber is a different story. There have been buckets of slobber. Trimming around the muzzle will help. We're also looking forward to taking him swimming at Petersons.

B I D W E L L said...

Dog's rule. My 14 y/o lab doesn't swim!!!???!? Our newest addition (Basset Hound) is a shed-master and requires a daily sweep. She's not fast but certainly an enduro dog on the trail.

Paul Varnum said...

Bidwell -

Haven't taken him out riding yet, I need to whip him into a little better shape first. Took him to the river yerterday. He loves dunking his whole head under water. I've never seen a dog do that. But he won't swim yet! He's led a sheltered life, I think.