Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Steamroller Project Bike

My Surly Steamroller showed up today!
I found it on RoadBikeReview.com. You never know, buying used stuff over the Internet, but the frame looks like new, and I got it for a really good price. Regular readers will remember that I gave up on the Follis fixie conversion, and later found the Follis a very good home (in reality, the good home found me). The Steamroller will now become my fixie training bike.

So, I spent a little time tonight going through my spare parts to see if I had enough stuff to make it into a complete bike. I think I'm pretty close. I'll keep you posted.
Is there anything cooler that the Surly logo?
I spent a few hours cleaning and reassembling the Follis last night in preparation for sending it to it's new home. It was a walk down memory lane for me. The Follis took me on RAGBRAIs in 74-76 (before it was called RAGBRAI). I'll post a few of those stories someday, after the statute of limitations has run out.

4 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

Nice! I'll wager it's a bit sad to see the Follis chapter close? I suppose it ended years ago, but its departure signifies a certain amount finality which could draw a tear or two. This weekend I'll have a beer and toast to childhood's passing and remember my own, that little red bike.

I won't be in town this weekend for Saturday's ride; I'll be in Hawarden (Trans Iowa 1 and 2 start town) with Jess's family. I'm taking my bike and hopefully get a chance to hit the Loess Hills back roads. Next Saturday I'll be riding for sure. Let me know if you'll be around.

Paul Varnum said...

It's a little sad, but I am glad to see the Follis going to a good home. Its really amusing how it all worked out. The only reason I even drug it out (I barely remembered I had it) was to steal the drop bars off of it for Donnie's Crankgiving race.

I was planning on us doing around 100 miles on Saturday, but since you're not going, I probably just sit home and eat Bon Bons.

mr. f. g. superman said...

Ooo, a hun-urt? Next weekend, I'll hold you to it. Metric or English?;)

Paul Varnum said...

There, I let my mouth write a check that my body will have trouble cashing.