Monday, December 04, 2006

Scary

If you saw this guy coming your way, would you run?


Don't be frightened; this is my new Outdoor Research Gorilla Balaclava. I don't know why they named it after a ground dwelling herbivore that inhabits the forests of Africa. Regardless, it is toasty warm. I haven't taken it out on a ride yet, but Cory has given it a ringing endorsement.

Speaking of Cory, his MackyDu race is this weekend. Nothing would make me smile more than to see a huge crowd of nutjobs, err riders, at McFarland this Saturday. The forecast is calling for temps near 40. That's like suntan weather folks! Get out there!

One more note. I had previously talked about renovating my Follis as a fixie. I tried. I really, really tried. I was willing to sand/repaint the frame, and I was willing to deal with the French threads. What did me in was the frame size. It just didn't fit . Remember, I bought this bike when I was 14 (at the time I didn't even know bikes came in different sizes). It's top tube measures about 56 cm. For now, it is a piece of abstract art on the wall of my shop. If you need a 56cm fixie frame in need of some TLC, let me know (free to good home).

I still need (want) a fixie, so I bought a slightly used 59 cm Surly Steamroller frame on RoadBikeReview.com. Sweet! Details to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am interested in the Follis bike. I have wanted one for years but unable to locate one. Please email me. kenfollis@juno.com

Paul Varnum said...

Cool. I would be glad to see it go to a good home. Did you see the pictures of the bike in the previous post? It will need some TLC. I'll send you an e-mail tonight so we can work out the details.