Monday, December 25, 2006

Happy Christmas

First of all, I want to wish everyone a happy Christmas, happy Chanukah, Kwanza, happy Festivus (for the rest of us), and happy everything else I can think of. Second, I apologize for not updating the blog this week. Between the holidays, early season training, and work, I’ve not had much spare time. Something had to give, and the blog took the brunt of it.

Here’s what been happening. I went out early on Sunday (Christmas Eve) for a great frozen trail ride. I left early to catch the still frozen trails (note to self – if the sun is out, get done by 10:30). Other that some frosty roots ands rocks, the conditions were perfect for this time of year. Here are some pictures from the ride:


Here's how I roll this time of year. Notice the clear cockpit. No computer, no HRM, and no GPS. Just out for a ride, having fun.



There is still frost on the prairie:

It looks cool from the woods:


A new tree down. I hope the deer hunter wasn't in the stand when it went down.

I wish everyone would be a litle more sensitive of the trail tread this time of year. Even though the temps may be in the 40s, it takes a long time for the tread to dry out. If you can't get out when the tread is frozen (like I did), stay off. Tracks lead to holes, holes lead to water retention, water retention leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side (trail paving).
Frequent readers will recognize this view (one of my favorites):

It was a great trail ride for late December. I hope there are more of these, but I don't expect it. Winter cold and snow will come any day now.

I finally got the Surly Steamroller fixie project together, and went for the first ride today (it is a Christmas present to myself). What a treat to ride this piece of simplicity! Here are some pictures of the completed bike:



Christy also got me a set of rollers for Christmas. I went for my first roller ride tonight. I didn’t fall, but I was close a couple of times. It will be good to add this to my workout regime.
Have you noticed the days are getting longer? I had a dream about Finchford last night. It must be a sign about me road racing.

January 1st is coming soon. On January 1st I start my season in earnest. OK, I’ve started the season already. But on January 1st, I take the next step.

4 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

Pretty. The overlook and the bike I mean.

Paul Varnum said...

I'm taking it out for a few hours of urban riding this afternoon, if you are interested.

mr. f. g. superman said...

I have some gravel riding up my sleeve for this afternoon. I have to finish building a new home for our lizard Gus out at my dad's farm south of Nevada. Dual purpose: little gravel time and time in the wood shop.

Feelin' pressure from his mother, my fault for dragging it out.

Unknown said...

Nice ride Paul:)

Peace