Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Somebody's Been Busy

Sometimes, when one door is shut, you get thrown out a window . . . or something like that.

Because of my self-imposed exile at Peterson's, I have been rediscovering some new places to ride. On a ride at Bear Creek recently, I noticed some pink flags leading off to a newly cleared trail:


The new trail starts at the end of the flats, before the Bear Creek crossing. It climbs out of the Skunk River valley:


And follows along the top of a ridge.

Wear orange, because it's deer season:



At times it's hard to pick out the singletrack because of the leaves, but it's there. Look for the pink flags.



Bring you 'cross skills for the bridge crossing:

The trail comes close to the I-35 rest area (where water and restrooms are available - always a bonus), and then heads back down to the river valley with a sweet, rooty descent.



The new trail adds quite a bit of length, and some much needed climbing to the Bear Creek trail system. It can be ridden both directions, which adds some additional variety. I don't know who was responsible for this, but thank you! I'll do my best to beat the new section in. It's still a bit rough in spots, but a few hundred laps will work wonders. Do your part and get out there!

No comments: