Sunday, October 15, 2006

Last Race of the Season

Today was the Sycamore Time Trial, which was the last race of the Iowa Mountain Bike Championship Series. We got a few tenths of rain during the night, but it didn’t matter. From what I hear, conditions were as good as Sycamore is going to get. Teammate Chris Maharry puts on a good race, and there was a ton of swag. More on that later.

Christy and I had planned on getting there early, with the idea that I would do two warm-up laps, since the course was short, and I had never ridden there before. We didn’t get going as early as planned, and the rain also messed with our plans, because I didn’t want to get my bike all muddy right before my start time. So I went out with teammates Bruce Neil and Chris Hansen for a single warm-up/pre-ride lap.

I’ve never ridden at “Targhetto” before. It is something that has to be experienced. Don’t get me wrong. The trails are pretty cool, but it’s mostly whooped out quad trails. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time riding a motocross bike in areas frequented by quads, so I was comfortable with the conditions, and knew what to expect.

I left on minute 16, and for the most part, gave it everything I had. Because the course suited me (no real climbing, and line seletion was important), I never really felt like I was at my limit, but I stayed close to it most of the time.

I finished in 3o minutes and change, which was good enough for second place in 45+. Sadly, I was only 24 seconds out of first (if only you would apply yourself – how many times have I heard that).

Like I said earlier, Chris puts on a good race, and the swag table was extraordinary! When my turn came, this is what I got:



How sweet is that? It may not have been the best choice; given my goals for the winter, but I got a good laugh when I grabbed it.

Rob also got a bottle of wine from the swag table, which we passed around in the parking lot, “Targhetto style”.

Afterwards, we went over to Maharry’s for more beer and Thai food. This race is a whole lot of fun, and a heck if a deal for $20.

This race also was the last of the Iowa mountain bike racing season, and the start of the off-season. For me that means lots of long, slow distance, and also means diet season. I am going to lose another 20 pounds by April (I lost 30 during the same period last year). That will put me in the 175-180 pound range. I know that sounds scary for you non-cyclists, but it’s necessary to be competitive.

I’ll keep the blog updated on my progress towards that goal as the winter progresses.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the time trial. Sucks about the 24seconds. At least you know you had it in you.

I've decided on similar plans for the winter. With investment in a new CC/AM bike comes a responsibility to race a bit more. LSD is for me, I can't stand the trainer indoors. We should try to hook up for a normal ride...it would keep me motivated.

Paul Varnum said...

That's the funny thing about a time trial. You've got no one to chase, so it all about how hard you can push yourself.

Good to hear about you racing some more. You will do well.

A regular ride would be good. I did Saturday mornings at 10:00 (weather permitting) with Mike like last year. How does that sound?

Anonymous said...

Saturdays work for me. Fat tire or skinny tire?

Paul Varnum said...

I'd rather dodge dogs than cars. Let's do gravel (assuming it's not gravel soup). 50 miles, or you want to do more?

Anonymous said...

50 is such a good number. We could do more if the mood/weather is conducive.