Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Power of Positive Thinking

Last night was the IMBCS awards banquet, where things worked out pretty well for me.

Today was the Cyclocross state championship in Newton. Christy and I went over so I could try my hand at 'cross (on a mountain bike). I entered in the cat 4 race, In retrospect, I might have been better off in the +40 race, but the net effect would have been the same - a back of the pack finish. Oh, well. I had fun, Iwasn't DFL, and it was a great workout. Those 'cross guys are tough! Teammate Chris Hansen won the Cat 4 race (he only lapped me three times during the race).

Afterwards, I kicked back, had some of Court Aveneue's finest and watched the elite race. Man those elite guys are fast!

At the IMBCS awards dinner last night, and during the race today, I was telling anybody that would listen that I was going to win the 'cross bike in the "Cross Out Crohn's" raffle. True to my word, I parlayed my winnings from the BikeIowa.com award into raffle tickets for the cross bike. That got me five tickets, and gave me a 1 in 20 shot at winning, but I didn't think about that. Instead I pictured myself getting fit for the bike, riding the bike, and winning on the bike.

Right before the drawing I introduced myself to Scott Sumpter, the owner of BikeIowa.com. I told him that I had been one of the recipients of his newcomer award, and thanked him for his generousity. I also told about by plan to turn my portion of the prize into into a 'cross bike. He got a real kick out of my plan, and wished me luck.

Ten minutes later they held the drawing, and I won the 'cross bike!

A Specialized TriCross Comp!

Behold the power of positive thinking! But I must have overcooked it, because one of my other tickets (I bought 5) was also drawn for one of the other prizes. I told them to toss the ticket and draw again. No sense being greedy.

The bike also includes a fitting from Donny Quixote. That's going to be cool. I've never had the pleasure of a professional bike fitting.

All in all, I had a pretty good weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous!

That's awesome, both about the title and the bike. Good job!

Paul Varnum said...

Right time, right place and the right amount of windfall cash in my pocket. I'm a lucky, lucky guy.

Pete Basso said...

Paul - Congrats on a great year and a lucky weekend, (regards to your recent win-fall). It's been fun reading your blog.

Paul Varnum said...

Hey thanks Pete. And thanks for stopping by my humble abode.

I do the blog for my own amusement. I'm always surprised when anybody else reads it, and tickled when they get something out of it.