Monday, October 02, 2006

Always Take Your Camera!

I went for a short (1:45) road ride yesterday. It was on a boring route, and I didn't expect to see anything. I learned a valuable lesson. Always take your camera!

During the ride I saw seven road-kill snakes. Apparently the warm weather has caused them to crawl out on the road to warm themselves. Cars cause their untimely demise. As interesting as dead snakes are, that's not why I wished for a camera.

I also saw the Goodyear Blimp. OK, maybe not the Goodyear Blimp, but a Goodyear Blimp. It was huge, and moving across Story county at 10 mph. It was right over my head, and it was huge! Did I say it was huge?

Always take your camera. You never know what you are going to see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a camera myself for just such occasions...wait, he's a photographer and doesn't have a digital camera!?! It's true.

Cross looks nice. I have got to try me some of that!

Paul Varnum said...

The Olympus I have works well. It fits nicely in a jersey pocket, and has o-ring seals on the openings. An ad for the camera shows it being dropped in a mud puddle, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Cross looks like a lot of fun, once you get past the usual suffering. At least they are short. Team 14 is hosting a race next Sunday in Webster City.

http://team14bikeraces.blogspot.com

Mountain Bikes are legal, as are single speeds. I saw several of both.

Anonymous said...

Big fan of Olympus point and shoots, have a film version, but it gets little use...one guess as to why.

Lookin at the 720 SW, but a 725 SW was just released in Europe. I'm hoping that the picture quality complaints that I read about the 720 have been addressed. But some people tend to be techy and anal just for the sake of it. Like the "tank" build of it, as I've grown less gentle with these things.

As for CC, maybe I'll just throw some drop bars on my SS for cross-work...we'll see.

Paul Varnum said...

Point and shoots have their place (like in a jersey pocket). They are never going to have the image quality of my SLR. But I'm also never going to carry my SLR and lenses in a jersey pockey.