Thursday, December 13, 2007

Six Weeks

Six weeks is the amount of time since I have done anything even remotely cardio. It has been six weeks since I broke my collarbone, and I was determined to completely, absolutley, take that time off. I mean totally off, as in lay on the couch, watch TV, and drink adult beverages. You know, the way the rest of America lives their lives. So I did.

So hear I am six weeks later. Collarbone nearly healed (can lay on left side but can't sleep on it, can't do pushups, but couldn't do many before), a couple of pounds heavier, a couple of pounds of muscle lost, and my cardio mostly gone. Oh, well. If I'm going to be in this kind of condition, it is better to do in on December than July.

There will be lots of time to regain my fitness. And my desire has been greatly rejuvinated! If you haven't taken six weeks off lately, I highly recommend it. Although I don't recommend breaking a bone to do it.

I mention all of this because I went out for an hour of cross-country skiing tonight. It was great! The snow was good, the winds were light, and I had the trails to myself. My legs are a little sore from too much rest, but that is to be expected.

Oh, while I was out on the prairie trail I saw some bike tracks . . . It looked very ridable. Maybe tomorrow I'll get my single speed with the knobby tires and . . . .

I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

BB said...

Way to get up off the couch!

Hey, I was not on the couch and worked out the past 6 weeks which led to be gaining about a pound a week. If you only gained a couple of pounds, I think I better switch to the couch training method!!!!!

Glad your healing and thinking cardio.

Paul said...

I am glad you are back out there.

Bike tracks in McFarland? Hmmmmm.

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce -

Your gains were mostly muscle. According to my scale I've lost 5 pounds of muscle in the last 6 weeks. Do the math on that one. Good thing it's December.

OP -

Yup, bike tracks. The gravel still looks way to dangerous. I'm gonna try riding around at McFarland some time Saturday morning. It may be an exercise in stupidity, but that's my speciality. You interested?

Paul said...

Sorry, I won't be able to on Saturday as I am giving a practice ACT session that day. Sorry. I will be up for it later.

The gravel sucks!

Paul Varnum said...

No problem. We'll do it another time. If I go out I'll post something so you get an idea about conditions.

And yes, the gravel truly does suck right now. It is a skating rink. Total ice. They even scraped off the new snow in order to better expose the polished ice underneath.

Come on Spring!