Sunday, December 16, 2007

First Ride Back

Well I said I was gonna go ride my bike yesterday, so I did. The plan was to head to McFarland and ride some of the snowy trails. The trails looked ridable enough, with just 3 inches of fluffy powder on them.


Unfortunately, under that powder is a 1/2 inch crust of ice and frozen sleet, and under that is another 2 inches of snow, and under that is another inch of ice. Digging through it is like taking a walk back through our weather for the last couple of weeks. On skis I blissfully floated on top of it all, but on a bike I floated for a brief moment, then broke through. I pulled back on top, only to break through again. Rinse and repeat. It was unridable. Crap.

So I headed for home. On the way I looked wistfully down the gravel road.

It was mostly unencumbered by snow, but contained all of the previously mentioned ice. And the gravel? It was no where to be seen. It looked pretty fricken slick. But, as I said to OP yesterday, this was to be an exercise in stupidity.


It was good to get out on a bike! It was my first real ride in six weeks.

Kinds has the look of Fargo, doesn't it?


Look ma, no gravel. This is what the gravel looks like now. Mile after mile of ice road.


I stayed out for about an hour. It wasn't too bad if you kept to the side of the road where there was still some snow. I never really had any "holy crap" moments, but the road and the conditions kept my full attention.

Notes from the ride:

1) I'm looking forward to some gravel slop when this stuff melts.
2) The legs felt good and the lungs felt good, but apparently ass conditioning fades quickly.
3) Good thing it is December. I've got a long ways to go.
4) Oops, I missed out on the cold weather acclimatization phase. All of the sudden its really cold out there!
4) It is really, really good to get back on a bike.

10 comments:

BB said...

Glad you're up and at 'em. How about a pair of the Nokian studded tires? There available in 29"er, but they are not cheap:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=131113&cat=320&brand=170

They would eat up that Fargo looking terrain.

Paul Varnum said...

I've seen something similar in the LBS, but never understood their purpose . . . until now.

Next week is going to be in the 30's. That should take care of most of the ice. If not, I'll check them out.

Anonymous said...

Are you up for a ride this coming Sunday? Let me know, Nick

Paul said...

Awesome Job Paul!

Travel Gravel said...

You just couldn't stay away could you? This is good! I went out to the Y Camp hill today to try some ski-biking but the hill was ALL GRAVEL! Not even a snowy side margin:( But I may have a bike that has wheels for a Tuesday ride on gravel! Good going old man! Later!

Carl Buchanan said...

Way to get back to it Paul!!!

Paul Varnum said...

Nick -

I could be up for a ride. Where are ya thinkin'?

Paul -

Hopefully a few more days like today and we'll get our gravel back.

Greg -

You got gravel in Boone county? Lucky.

Carl -

That's a sweet looking new frameset you got there. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Emily said...

is this a joke?? i keep reading these posts where you guys are bitching about the gravel being all covered up, and i just don't understand it. those roads fucking rock right now.

Paul Varnum said...

Em -

Of course. These roads are perfect for you! That's because your genetic make-up does not allow you to feel fear. I, on the other hand, Am afraid of falling, cause when I fall, things break.

I'll get over it. I'm off work between Christmas and New Year's day. You up for somne riding?

B I D W E L L said...

Way to go PV! Merry Christmas to you and yours!!