Monday, September 17, 2007

Getting Ready for 'Cross

I've spent the last few days making a few tweaks to my 'cross bike. Regular readers will remember that this is the bike that I won at last year's 'cross state championship, so the bike doesn't owe me anything.

I took off the stock fork and repaced it with a Winwood Dusty.
The stock fork was a heavy pig. The swap resulted in about a 3/4 pound weight savings.
I also replaced the stock chainring gearing with a 42 tooth Salsa single chainring, a Wetzikon outer chain guard (both from cyclocrossworld.com), and the stock chain watcher on the inside.
I never understood the stock Specialized gearing (34-48). That is just nuts. The 34 is mostly too weak for anything, and the 48 is way to strong (although it did work pretty well for gravel). But it would have sucked in a 'cross race. I could see having to jump from little to big ring several times each lap. I suppose Specialized is trying to be all things to all people, and all gearing to all people. It is much better now. I've ridden it for a few days in most types of conditions I'll see in a 'cross race, and I'm very happy with the result.
I also slapped on a Thomson Masterpiece seat post that I won in a race earlier this year. Sweet. The Thomson post feels like a feather compared to the stock (carbon) post. Alex said the carbon post might be carbon clad aluminum.
While I was snapping pictures, I took one of the top tube. The TriCross has a unique top tube shape that is much more comfortable when shouldering the bike during long run-ups. It is flat on the bottom. Really!
Overall the bike dropped more than a pound because of the upgrades, and is now under 20 pounds.
Now I just need to get a set of these, mounted on a set of these, and I'll be set. I'm going to be the slowest guy out there on a fast bike, but that's OK. It will still be a boat load of fun!

8 comments:

Travel Gravel said...

Varnum, DON'T say "boat" in any reference or context on this blog! You are doing so well keeping this biking OCD going it is too late to switch hobbies now! Seriously sweet bike, looks like a serious contender. I am going to try to get a Sunday ride going up to Pilot Mound. Details being worked out and will fulfill soon. You know you're in! Later!

Paul Varnum said...

Greg, you crack me up! I had to look through the post three times before I finally found the dreaded
"boat" reference.

As far as a Sunday ride goes, we'll see. Between Maharry's race, 'cross season, amd family, my Sundays are pretty full until November.

Travel Gravel said...

No sweat, it may be that long for me too. I may try Jinglecross this year. Looks like a blast, riding or not! Later!

Anonymous said...

we still on for tomorrow at 4 at ada hayden right? i'll be there

Paul Varnum said...

Crap! I've got a work thing in DM again this week. If I skipped it I would be unemployed. Have fun without me.

Rat House Marc said...

those mavics are gonna look sexy!

Paul Varnum said...

4130 -

Yup! I'll try to get some pics of the completed product up this weekend.

bontrag said...

Hey Paul, cross bike looks great. I just wanted to let you know we'll be out at 7oaks at 3 sunday the 23rd. I was hoping you noticed my blog, but thought I'd try commenting here too.

I really like the 1x9 setup on your cross bike. I love my 1x9. The Mich. Muds have a super high TPI. So they're really squishy over the rootiest stuff. I picked out my front chainring size so that 2:1 would be right in the center of the cassette.