Sunday, September 23, 2007

Squirrel's Nest Time Trial

I went to Des Moines for Chris Maharry's time trial today. What a cool event this has become! There was donuts, coffee, sports drinks, gels, and ton of schwag. This year the event was held at Green wood park. It doesn't have same level of intrigue that Targhetto does, but the trails are pretty sweet. Those guys have been working hard.

Several team 14ers line up for the start.


Hansen was looking very alert today. Apparently he lost a couple of fingers in an industrial accident.


Pete, Rob, and Sterling.


I went out, rode the course, and had fun. Nothing I could do would put me at the front, and nothing I did would make a difference to the season's points.

A rare smile for the camera from me.


Bruce enjoys a pastry


Hmmm. This is an IQ test question. Can you spot the progression?

Answer: Shaved, hairy, shaved, hairy. I would have also accepted Old, younger, younger, youngest.


Maharry announces the winners, and there is a mad stroll for the prize table.


An excited crowd looks on.


Afterwards we met at Rassy for some food, tasty beverages, and an awards ceremony the the IMBCS. I got 4th place in Sport Open this season. How did I do that, you ask? By showing up at all of the races. It's just that simple. Sure I sucked at several (most) of them. But I was there. Things fell as they should, because in most races I couldn't catch the guys in from of me (Bruce Reese, Bruce Brown, and Kyle Williams). Kyle and I were neck and neck early in the season, but as he got better I got worse. Bruce Brown got me in every race expect one. I can remember being in front of Bruce Reese exactly twice . . . once at the start of the Sylvan Island, and once during the Iowa Games . . . both proud moments for me.

I was pleased to see that they recognized everyone that qualified for IMBCS points this year. I wasn't expecting that. Sadly, there weren't very many of us. Oh, well. Maybe next year.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont konw why, but that pic of bruce eating that pastry made me crack up just now

Paul Varnum said...

Pastry can funny.

You wanna ride on Wednesday? I've already blocked out the time on my calendar.

BB said...

Nice comedy in your photo captions, Paul. Congrats on 4th place for the series and the season.

Just showing up has been 1/2 the battle plan for several of us. Hey, it's like the lottery - ya gotta play to win. Or in our case - ya gotta show up to earn points.

Paul Varnum said...

And congrats to you for on you 2nd place. You gonna follow Reese to expert next year?

BTW, we had a discussion about Morris vs. Friel earlier in the season. I guess we settled it. Got a copy of Morris you could to loan me? It's out of print, right?

Although my Friel method was a bit unorthodox at times. You know, things like 1 week hard, 3 weeks rest.

BB said...

Dave Morris is back in print and available at Amazon.com.

I skipped the first two phases of the Morris plan (many weeks of weight training followed by a base building phase). I did some weight lifting and some base building on my own terms, but nothing like what I was supposed to have done because I stsrted way too late to fit it all in before racing started.

This off season, I will give all 4 phases the old college try as they are supposed to be done.

What category for next year? I haven't thought that far ahead yet. My highest placing in a race this year for sport open was 5th place over in one of the Psycowpath races and 6th place at Ingawanis for the IMBCS. Hardly enough pedigree to make the case for expert.

Paul Varnum said...

Morris is back in print? Cool! I gotta get me some of that.

I hear you on the expert thing. Look at my lap times, and compare them to any expert lap time. That says it all. I still think Sport open was the right choice this year.

BB said...

Now if they had an expert category of 45+ instead of just the 35+, I might consider adding the extra lap(s) and pain for a challenge at some point in time. Didn't Nick W. convert to expert this year at the Boone race? Either way, the training demands to race for those distances increases and I think it boils down to how much time one has to commit. I was kind of watching the times of Taylor Webb who was in sport open last year and raced in expert this year. On the other hand, if I'm going to be DFL or close to DFL in many sport races like I was this year, what's the difference of being DFL in expert 35+? I guess the extra lap(s) would make for a longer nap when I got home. ;-)

I'm going to try and convert some Continental Twister Pro cross tires to tubeless this evening. I may talk myself into just using tubes by the time this evening rolls around.

Paul Varnum said...

Yes, Nick raced Expert at Boone in July. It was a long day for him. I admire that, but don't want to make people (including my wife and the promoters) wait around for me while I finish the expert laps at a beginner pace. I don't mind challenging myself on a long ride. But when I finish, I don't want it to look like a New Year's eve party at 2:00 am (food gone, drinks gone, only people still there are drunk).