Thursday, July 10, 2008

Iowa Games Postponed

I just found out the Iowa Games mountain bike race has been postponed to September 13th. WhooHoo! That means several things:

1) There is much more time to get the Peterson's Park trail system back in shape.

2) There are seven, (count them) seven mountain bike races in August and September. If you planned a training peak for June this year, I'm sorry. If you are looking at the mountain bike season as training for 'cross season, you are in luck!

3) I get to race at the Iowa Games!

The Iowa games has always been one of my strongest races. It plays to my strengths (flat, fast, and in my backyard). Because of a RAGBRAI/Iowa Games conflict this year I was going to miss it. Now I will be there! And it should come at about a training peak for me (I'll work that out later).

In other news, I rode my road bike again. That makes twice this year (have I mentioned that I hate cars). Two times on a road bike means I'm ready for the RAG. With all of the gravel miles I've put in, 450 miles of paved goodness should be a cake walk.

8 comments:

Carl Buchanan said...

September 13th huh? Hmmmmm, that date may not work out for me but, we shall see. Definitely would be great CX training.

Paul Varnum said...

Carl,

And you know what else? A 'cross bike is a very potent weapon at Peterson's. The trails are mostly flat and fast. The only fly in the ointment is the sand. If it is dry the sand will be loose, and the skinny 'cross tires don't do as well as a 29er MTB tire.

I know, because I raced a 'cross bike there in the VEISHEA race this spring. I kept up with a few guys that were on MTBs that normally leave me in their dust.

BB said...

So now you can "peak" for the 2nd half of the summer's racing. ;-)

Rats! I can't make the September 13th new date as there is a Psycowpath XC race in Nebraska on the same day. Everything is fine until rescheduling starts happening. Then everything goes to heck... But it is easy to understand with this year's weather.

We finally got hit on Monday and we lost our finsihed basement due to flooding. Dang storm sewers were so full the sump pump had no where to pump the drainage. Our house is a mess at the moment...

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce

"Peaking" in the second half of the season would assume that I had some kind of a "peak" my mostly non-existant first half of the season.

Sorry to hear you can't make it to the Iowa Games party. That just means I'll be another step up on the box.

I'm also sorry to hear abour your basement. I read that on your blog. This year truly does suck.

We were watching a press conference with the Gov, and he was asked, "How many people in Iowa are affected by the floods?"

My immediate answer was "All of them".

BB said...

Are you racing tomorrow in Davenport for the added IMBCS event?

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce,

Nope. I've got too much other stuff going on, and it's just too damn far away. I know we aren;t in this too save money, but it would be about a $100 trip ffor me. I am going to Seven Oaks tomorrow to help Kyle with bridges etc.

Are you going to Davenport?

Steve Fuller said...

Hmmm. I may have to consider this now that it's not the same weekend as RAGBRAI. Carpooling to these long events is the way to go for sure. Heading to Davenport tomorrow with Kent Carlson from here in DSM. I wouldn't go, but every point helps. :) Glad that this will be the last road trip for the year (other than Sugarbottom).

Paul Varnum said...

Steve

I hear you on the carpooling. My the time I get me, the wife, the dog, a couple of bikes, and mics other stuff in the truck there isn't much room for anyone else. Maybe I should learn to pack lighter.

It'll be nice to have most of the rest of the series be local.