Sunday, June 29, 2008

Camera Dump

Here is the promised camera dump. I've been doing quite a bit of riding - almost all of it on gravel.


I've also continued to ride to work whenever I can. It is about 50 minutes one way.


Some of my gravel rides have included "B" roads. Sometimes they have been in really good condition.



Other times, not so much.


One day I stumbled on a spot where three counties come together. It is a little hard to see, but there are three sets of street signs at this intersection. Try explaining that to a 911 dispatcher.



Here we are on the way to Council Bluffs for a race. We were driving over on Friday afternoon.



Oops, the race got cancelled while we were still about 50 miles outside of Council Bluffs. We turned around.


She's smiling, but she's thinking, "Why don't you put the camera down and drive?".



I've also been doing some riding in lake country (central Iowa) with new teammate OP.


This guy is always smiling. The hours pass a lot faster when you can do it with someone else.


On to the devastation. This is a bridge on 160th (just north of me). The water ran over the road here for a long time.



There are lots and lots of lakes like this one. Even today.


This shot is from the trail system in west Peterson's. The lake is overflowing into the river, and has create a waterfall across the trail. I rode on a little bit of the trail, and it is trashed in many, many places.



Things have been so bad around here that I even had to resort to riding on the road once.




Well, there you go. I hope it doesn't take another 6 weeks before the next post. I doubt it. I'm doing RAGBRAI, so that should generate a few decadent posts.

Later.

14 comments:

Paul said...

Always smiling? Do you remember the heap I was in at the end of that ride?!!!? %^)

Paul Varnum said...

Even when you were in a heap in my garage, you were still smiling!

BB said...

So it sounds like the Peterson Pits Race for the Iowa Games on July 19th is a no go?

Paul Varnum said...

I have not heard that. Tey will probably find a way to make it work. But, exoect a MUCH rougher course tham in past years. Most likely I will not be there because RAGBRAI starts the next morning. I was thinking that I could get it all in, but then I was reminded that I sometimes have trouble with the time-space continuum.

BB said...

Yeah, that might be too much of a warm-up for RAGBRAI. Maybe they'll get a herd of horses out there to smooth out the trail. ;-)

I had wanted to do RAGBRAI this year, but we're taking my son to a camp in Wisconsin that week and will hang out in Door County and upper Michigan before coming back home.

I think I might try a WORS race this weekend just for the "experience" of seeing hundreds and hundreds of riders at an XC event.

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce,

I think the warm-up would have been perfect, but the travel time afterwards would not.

After what I saw last week, horses could only make it better.

Have fun in Door county. I think there is some good riding up there. Good luck at a WORS event. That should be a good test of your fitness!

BB said...

Patrick Alvord posted a message on the IORCA Yahoo Group that he is looking for another venue (Seven Oaks) for the Iowa Games race due to the Pits being in such bad shape.

I'll have a full report of the WORS experience after this weekend. Nothing like a 5 hour drive...

Hey - you want to borrow my recumbent for RAGBRAI? It's the perfect ride for that event as you can hold a beer in one hand and drink while steering with the other hand and not lose your balance. ;-)

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce -

I saw taht, and wasn't suprised. It would have taken a Hurculean effort to get it ready in time.

I can't imagine Boone is much better. I can picture great hunks of the hillside sliding into the creek.

Speaking of Boone Boone, did you get any insurance info from Kyle? Is there anything else I can do to help you out?

BB said...

Insurance is paid for and ready to go. I got it through McKay Insurance out of Knoxville and their Silent Sports Division.

Do we know anyone who has course marking equipment (signs, arrows, flags, cones, etc...)? If not, I can order some through an outfit called Rainbow Racing.

Grootveld said...

Wow, stuff is really in rough shape! We expected as much, but seeing it is still a little depressing. I imagine Soper's is pretty destroyed as well?

Thanks for the pictues!

Eric (and Holly)

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce -

Good to hear you got the insurance lined up.

Thad is selling all of his course marking stuff here http://thadsbigsale.blogspot.com/

Eric -

Welcome to my humble abode! After my little excursion in west Petersons, I was too depressed to even try the Sopher's trail or the river trail in Mcfarland. Looks like you're in Idaho for the summer? Cool! Have fun.

Grootveld said...

I've been visiting your blog for a while now... just never had much to say :) Idaho is awesome. It's going to be a little painful to come home, though it will be nice to see all our friends and family again.

Steve Fuller said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen Paul without a smile on his face, unless he was asleep in my truck or somethin'.

Paul Varnum said...

Eric -

Yup, Idaho is awesome. It is family and friends that keep me here.

Steve -

Welcome to my humble abode! I plan on doing a post regarding the court appearance from my little incident when it happens. I've had OP slumped over in my garage gurgling, yet still smiling! Go figure.