Saturday, July 12, 2008

I've Had Better Days

It all started on Friday night when I was riding home from work. Somehow the waist strap on me messenger bag came unclipped, and said strap then got tangled in the front wheel. Over the bars I went. Ouch! %$#@*$. I sat on the side of the bike path and swore for a while, then picked myself up and limped home.


The crash had put my front wheel out of true, so I had to unhook the front brake. To make matter worse, my other brake hood was also knocked around.


Not a good way to start the weekend. I went home and iced up everything that hurt. Meanwhile I got a call from OP. We decided that I was OK enough to go do 4-5 hours of gravel the next day (Saturday).



That went great! No issues from the previous night's fall, and the weather was great for a bike ride. Just a little bit of rain, almost no wind, and temps in the 65-75 range.

OP likes his new kit.


OP also likes to take phone calls on long gravel rides. He is a devoted husband and father.

We went through parts of Story, Boone, Hamilton, and Hardin counties. All told I did about 58 miles.

About 8 miles from home, I was leaning back in the saddle stretching, and snap! My seat post rail clamp bolt snapped off, and I was in the dirt again for the second time in 24 hours. Ouch! It didn't hurt quite as bad at first because it was on gravel.

I rode the last six mikes standing. Now that hurt a little.


Notice the lack of a seat at the top of the post, and also notice the seat in my jersey pocket. Also notice the elbow.


When we got close to home we took a singletrack short cut to save about a mile.

Try taking a picture when you've been standing up for the last 5 miles, are chasing OP, and are at the end of long day.




And, after all of that, I'm still smiling.

2 comments:

BB said...

Isn't it fun to fall and live to tell about it? ;-)

Sorry about your wounds and bike damage. Out of saddle for 6 miles? More power to you on that. I would have reached for the cellphone and the pickMeUP crew....

Paul Varnum said...

The out of the saddle time for me was a lot harder on the arms than it was on the legs. I guess maybe there is something to that training the upper body stuff.

I would have phoned home if it were going to be any more than 6 miles.