Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sick

I don't know if it was the hard effort on Saturday left me with a weakened immune system, the lack of a flu shot in the fall because of a broken collar bone, or the bad karma that comes from bragging to anyone that would listen that, "I don't get sick. Ever, never".

Well, I'm sick. It is not debilitating. It started with a slight sore throat on Sunday morning that went away. On Monday morning the sore throat was more persistent, and kept me away from work for a half a day. By today it has settled into my vocal chords (I can do a pretty good James Earl Jones right now - "Luke, I am your father").

Now I can feel it settling into my lungs. Crap! So much for Sylvan Island. We will still go, and I'll still going to find a way to race, but my results will probably suffer. Finally I have an excuse.

6 comments:

BB said...

I doubt we will have to worry about Sylvan Island with the Moline weather predicting rain on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday as well as snow and rain on Saturday.

Who knows, though?

In the meantime, drink your hot toddy and chicken soup.

Paul Varnum said...

It seems like remember from a previous year that the Sylvan Island race was a "rain or shine" event. Meaning it will be a mud race. Yuk. Nothing like slipping on the mud and impaling yourself on a piece of angle iron sticking out of the ground, or falling in the river. On the news last night they were broadcasting from Davenport becasue of the CITEC trial, and it was raining hard!

For what it is worth, I'm worse today, and home from work again. I hope this thing bottoms out soon.

Carney said...

A few shots of whiskey should kill off that sickness :)

But if you like the voice you could always pick up smoking a few packs a day.

Heal Up!

Paul Varnum said...

Carney -

My drink of choice right now is Nyquil. I'll buy this round. Who wants one? Bartender, Nyquil shots are on me!

Anonymous said...

Same thing here, haven't been sick in 2 years, and now sore throat, body aches have whipped my ass. Was planning on a long ride Saturday and didn't get off the couch. Get'n better back on the bike tomorrow. Happy peddling.
MrDaveyGie

Paul Varnum said...

MrDaveyGie

It sounds like we have the same sickness, and that yours is a few days ahead of mine. At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.