Sunday, September 10, 2006

Training Peak = Rain

It would be hard to look at my results so far this season and say that I have had bad luck. I’ve been very fortunate in the way things have worked out. At the beginning of the season my three goals were to: 1) Move to the sport class as soon as possible, 2) Finish a race on the podium in my age group, 3) Finish on the podium in the IMBCS for my age group.

As it turned out, goal #1 was never an issue. I’m little embarrassed now that it was even a season goal. In my defense, at the time I set that goal, I weighed 230 pounds (I’m now at 200 pounds), and could barely ride one lap at Boone.

I achieved goal # 2 in the second race of the IMBCS (Boone) when I finished third of four in my age group. It was a lucky achievement because of the small number of people in the race. Oh, well. I told myself that Boone was tough, and only the most committed even showed up at the starting line.

Which brings me to goal # 3. I figured that if I showed up at most of the IMBCS races, I would do well in the series points. This goal was a way of saying that I would race the entire series. Once again, luck prevailed. After the second race I found out that, instead of breaking the Sport age classes at +30 and +40, this year they were divided at +35 and +45. Because I had to good fortune to be 46, I was above the fray, and many of my IMBCS series competitors were still in the +35 group. I will achieve goal # 3, but I was looking for a tougher battle.

I’ve also had some bad luck this season. It has mostly been related to building a fitness peak for “Big” races. In the two previous times I have tried to build a fitness peak/training taper this year (Iowa NORBA Championships and Iowa Games), the race has been rained out (or should have been – in the case of the NORBA Championship). I had planned a fitness peak/training taper for this (and next) weekend. Once again, it rained. Not just rain, but, as Cory would say, torrential downpours of Biblical proportions. The Sycamore Time Trial was postponed, and another training peak went by to waste.

I’m beginning to think that I have some psychic power to bring rain by reducing my training time. If only I could harness this power for good.

I’m still going to proceed with my plan to taper for Boone next weekend. Right now the forecast calls for decent conditions for the next weekend. Just wait till the weather gods get a good look at my light training schedule for the week.

Even thought this year is not over, I've already started thinking about next year, and what my goals for the year might be. Some of my candidates are 1) Lose another 20 lbs this winter (target weight 175-180) 2) Compete in Sport open instead of my age group 3) Boone lap time of 45 mins. (currently 53), 4) Move to expert (unadvised unless goals #1 and 3 are well in hand). 4) Enter a few Road Races and Crits, 5) Race Cyclocross.

I'm open to ideas. Got any?

3 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

Good God! 175-180? You're a good 3 inches taller than me and planning on hedging in on my territory? Man do I feel soft, better get moving.

Good luck on any and all of those. I'm sure you'll achieve them.

Thaddeus Neil said...

I really like the cyclocross idea!

Paul Varnum said...

Cory, we'll see how it goes. I'm going to try to not get as obsessed as I did last winter. Only cutting 20 this winter will seem like a vacation. It would sure be nice to not have the extra baggage on hills.

Thad, some how I knew you'd be pleased with the 'cross goal. Nice to see you stopping by my humble abode.