Sunday, September 17, 2006

Stage Race at Boone

There was a two day stage race at Boone this weekend. The weather forecasters were dead on. We got 0.3 inches of rain on Friday night. On Saturday night, we got more.

The racer turnout on Saturday was on the light side (15 sport and 5 expert?). I think the conditions scared away some folks. The first race was a time trial around the whole course in the traditional direction (clockwise). Some much for my backwards pre-ride on Friday.

Before the time trail, Thad told me to save something for tomorrow. Good advice. I tried to follow it. Because of the rain, the course was a little sloppy on the first climb. On the backside, it was pretty messed up. I got through it, but it was not pretty (I pretty sure I fell somewhere, and I have the bruises to prove it, but it’s all a blur now). After the back section , when I thought I was through the worst of it, my chain broke. I was already in survival mode, so I really wasn’t too bothered by it. I fixed it and was on my way. I finished in a disappointing 1 hour and something.

The short track was run on the infield. 20 minutes + 2 laps, with sport and expert running together because of the small field. I hung with the leaders for about a lap, but I mostly rode alone. As the lead group lapped past me, I hung with them for another couple of laps, until the organizers threw out a prime, then I got dropped again. Oh well. I finished.

On Saturday night, we got another two inches of rain. There had been talk on Saturday of shortening the course if it rained on Saturday night. The word on Sunday wasthat we would leave the whole messy back section out. At the top of the first climb we would turn toward the campground, and leave the worst part out. It was a great choice for the conditions! Most of the course was very ridable. Sport class did three laps, while experts did five laps. I finished in 80 minutes +/-.

Thad won the Sport class overall. I think I finished in 1st in +45 Sport for the weekend. We’ll find out later.


I’ll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

No comments: