Friday, September 15, 2006

Boone Pre-Ride

I went for a pre-ride a at Boone this afternoon. I did one lap on the time trial course (backwards on the regular course). I have been working on a training peak/race taper, and this ride was to blow the cobwebs out before the next two days of hard racing. However, riding the course backwards took much longer, and was harder than I expected. Because I was trying not to overexert myself, it took me 1 ½ hour to get around. I rode slow, enjoyed the day, and stopped many times to clear sticks and branched from the trail. I think I’ll ride faster tomorrow for having done it.

Given the sketchy forecast for the weekend:














And the radar:


I am going prepared.

I moved the Rig’s Ergon climbing bars to the Fuel:



I put toe cleats on my Pearl Izumi mud shoes:


I put Michelin A/T mud tires on the 8500:


And I’m packing the Pearl Izumi rain jacket:

I hope I don’t need any of it!

In other news, I got some new cogs for the Rig. Maybe with 32x23 gearing (nearly 1:1) I can drag my fat ass up the Boone hills. We shall see.



Before the ride, I stopped at the shop to get a new chain for the Rig. I was chatting with some of the guys about the Boone 24, and Tom said he had been riding with the Eagle Scout that I mentioned earlier. I told him my story from the Boone 24. Tom said he was and surprised, and that he didn't think that this guy would intentionally cut the course. Tom also said the guy was a strong rider, and capable of turning 38 minute laps at Boone. I hope the eagle scout shows up this weekend to redeem himself.

No comments: