Sunday, August 20, 2006

First Road Race

I entered in my first road race today. It is a small race in Webster City (The Tour de Webster) put on by the Webster City Parks and Recreation department, and supported by my team. All Nine Yards was also well represented.

Since it was my first road race, my expectations were low. I just wanted to hang with the main group. I was going to give everything I had to not get dropped. I knew nothing of the course, but I figured it was mostly flat, given the terrain in the area. If there were big hills, my race plan was done (since my climbing ability still sucks).

My training has also sucked in the last couple of weeks. Between the visiting of out-of-state family, the Fair, and generally crappy weather my training and nutrition have been all messed up. I went out Saturday to ride some intervals, and felt pretty good, but I tried to not get my hopes up.

I got to the start in WC, and the usual Team 14 suspects were there (Thad, Rob, Matt, Brian, Chris, Nick, Bruce, with Sean and Chris MaHarry on injured reserve). We had a team meeting down the road at the graveyard, then we out on a warm-up/pre-ride.

At the start of the race, I was pretty nervous because it was my first road race, and I didn’t know what to expect. My nerves settled some once we took off. At one point early one, someone in front of me sat up, and I locked my rear wheel avoiding them. That made me (and others around me) a little jumpy.

The race pace was also a little jumpy. We would cruise for a while, then someone would try to go off the front, and we would all jump to keep up. Maybe this is normal. I don’t know because it was my first time.

At the halfway point in the race (the Homer corner), the front of the main group accelerated thru the corner, and I (and several others) struggled stay on. I pegged out the HR doing it, but I caught back on to the main group.

Several guys had been off the front during the race, but the main group had always reeled them in. At the finish, it was no different, and the main group finished with a sprint.

As we were approaching the final sprint, several guys yelled “Car Up”. Apparently this was some idiot’s cue to attack the group to the left of the centerline. I was stunned, and waited for the carnage that would ensue. The only carnage that resulted was him being spit out the back of the main group on the final hill. In addition to being an idiot, I guess he attacked too soon.

Donny Quixote got the win with teammate Jeff finishing in third. I finished in 18th overall, and finished 3rd in my age group (40+). I was suprised by the result. I was oly trying to hang on. The only disappointment I have is that I held back some at the finish line, because I didn’t know what to expect. “First Race Jitters” I guess.

Another thing worth mentioning is that a “Road Race” is another item on my “Life List”. OK, This was a minor road race, but it gives me the confidence to do another one.

Next up is the Boone 24 hour race, (another item on my “Life List” – dang, I’m gonna have to think of some more stuff) where I am teaming up with Thad, Rob, and another rider to be named later. Our stated team goal is to have fun, lots of fun. I plan on achieving that goal. I told them I could drink beer, eat spaghetti, and heckle the leaders, all while riding single track at night. I guess I better start practicing.

No comments: